How to use the sample browser as intended?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
wayfinder

How to use the sample browser as intended?

Post by wayfinder » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:07 am

I'm looking for suggestions on how to work with the sample browser. I have given up on my Live 8 workflows, since they are impossible in Live 9+ (eg using aliases/symbolic links to organize, switching between sorting by name/size/date to find files), and Ableton have been as clear as they could in telling us that they are not willing to bring back this functionality. I would like to profit from the upgrade, but so far it's only made me keep Live 8 around for when I use samples in a track.

How DOES everyone use the sample browser? What are the intended workflows like? Am I missing anything or is the browser objectively bad?

cotdagoo

Re: How to use the sample browser as intended?

Post by cotdagoo » Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:07 pm

I recently started testing out ADSR Sample Manager to help with browsing samples in a more efficient way.
https://www.adsrsounds.com/product/soft ... e-manager/

So far I'm loving the tagging, key detection, loop/one shot searching capabilities and realizing how much Live is slacking on their browser system and making content easy to find.

It's free too

wayfinder

Re: How to use the sample browser as intended?

Post by wayfinder » Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:00 am

I tried that a while ago, and it wasn't for me. :/ But it's been updated since, maybe the new version fits my needs better, I'll check it out.

And I guess I'll put one mark in the "objectively bad" column