How to use TR-8S and Novation Peak playing live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ac72165

How to use TR-8S and Novation Peak playing live

Post by ac72165 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:15 pm

I am trying to have both my Roland TR-8S drum machine and my Novation Peak synthesizer connected to Ableton at once. I want to be able to use both at the same time without recording to audio. I have an Apollo Twin audio interface and the full Ableton live 10.

For the TR-8S, I need each instrument of the rack to be separate tracks. What I have done in the past is create 11 audio tracks (one for each element....bass drum, snare drum, low tom, etc.). For each track, I have Audio From: Ext. In , starting from 3 going to 13. And Audio To: TR-8S. This allows my to get each sound into its own track. Then I change the Audio Input Device in Preferences to TR-8S, instead of Universal Audio Thunderbolt. This works fine.

For the Novation Peak Synth, I put an External Instrument on a MIDI track. MIDI To: Peak, Channel 1. Audio From: 2.

The problem now is that the External Instrument is getting the signal from the TR-8S. So I can not use both at the same time live. If I change the Audio Input Device back to Universal Audio Thunderbolt, then I can use the Novation Peak, but not the TR-8S.

How can I use both the TR-8S and the Novation Peak to play live?

Thank you for your help.
Alex