Playback distortion over time

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Parnk

Playback distortion over time

Post by Parnk » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:27 pm

This seems to be a playback issue for me. When I first open a session, the audio has no distortion at all, but over time, my playback begins to be more distorted until it is unintelligible. This also happens on MIDI tracks. The .wav files played back on anything else is perfectly fine, my sample rate appears to be balanced enough since it works good for the first 10 minutes. But once it started getting distorted for the first time, every time i open any session again, it gets distorted again within a minute or two. It is really frustrating to work with closing the session every two minutes, and I just don't know where to begin troubleshooting. This issue only happens for Ableton, and I use the ASIO4All driver with no other applications running.

re:dream

Re: Playback distortion over time

Post by re:dream » Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:11 am

This is very unusual. Can you describe your setup in detail?

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:37 pm

I've heard of this a few times and it's almost always been a sound card driver issue with lower end sound cards. Instead of using asio4all, have you tried the latest drivers for your sound card from the manufacturer?

fonzi337

Post by fonzi337 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:38 am

Parnk did you ever resolve your issue? I'm running into the exact same behavior all of a sudden. I plan to do a 15+ minute live performance in Ableton later this week and this is a major issue since, like you, the audio gets totally unintelligible after 1 - 2 minutes.

In my case I'm on macOS Mojave with the latest version of Ableton Live 9. I even tried swapping my Mbox Pro audio interface for another one and still the same issue.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

chantdeglace

Post by chantdeglace » Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:46 am

Hey! I'm having the exact same trouble as you. Was the issue ever resolved?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Shift Gorden

Post by Shift Gorden » Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:21 pm

I don't suppose the output audio is being pumped back into any tracks (check your audio inputs as you play the track through)? Although - that usually creates a mess right off the bat instead of gradually over time.

Anything odd going on with effect feedback? For example, you could have a delay going on which is subtle, but the feedback is set to 100% or something, so over the length of the track things just build and build until it smashes.

sambaji

Post by sambaji » Wed May 26, 2021 12:47 am

I am having the same issue now. After a while, my clips, particularly the lower-end ones start to sound a bit distorted or just poor quality. I don't think it's my audio interface. Working on Macbook pro 2012 Catalina Live 11.