Reamping my guitar track - 2 newbie questions?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
The Mountain Cow

Reamping my guitar track - 2 newbie questions?

Post by The Mountain Cow » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:21 pm

Hi guys,

I'm a newbie in all the recording stuff but i'm enjoying it like hell :
I'm gonna have my first go at reamping but not all is clear to me at the moment .. :)

This is my situation :

I've recorded my guitar track : my guitar in my Yamaha UR22 interface straight into Ableton. In Ableton i use Amplitube4 as my amplifier, so no real amp. I double tracked my guitar track with left and right panning, to have a stereo field going.

The UR22 interface has only 2 outputs so i will have to send the outgoing signal through my left output, connect only one speaker ( so i can hear only mono)to my right output and the ingoing signal from my reampbox back into the interface.

My first question : I want to use my stompboxes like overdrive, flanger, delay etc to put some real efx on my guitar instead of using the efx in ableton or amplitube.
So i have my guitar with distortion from amplitube going out my left output from the UR22 going into my stompboxes to put efx on it, back into the interface and back into ableton.
Is this OK?

My second question is this : I have made my guitar track stereo (with double tracking) into 2 seperate tracks into ableton and grouped them. When i drive the signal through ableton->interface->reampbox->stompboxes->interface->ableton will i lose my stereo field? Or does it maintain the stereo and i can only hear it in mono (becasuse i have only one speaker connected), and when i connect both my speakers, i can hear it in stereo again? And will the stompbox efx have effect on the stereo signal?

Thx for the advise in advance ! :)

doghouse

Re: Reamping my guitar track - 2 newbie questions?

Post by doghouse » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:52 pm

If you route both guitar tracks out of a single output, they will be mixed into mono.

Stompboxes almost never have stereo inputs anyway. If you want the stompboxes on both guitar tracks, you will have to do each track separately.