Modify or shorten tempo range for MIDI mapping on a surface controller.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
wavescapes

Modify or shorten tempo range for MIDI mapping on a surface controller.

Post by wavescapes » Fri May 03, 2019 4:41 am

Hello. I recently picked up a surface controller for Live. I want to MIDI map the global tempo to a fader or rotary in session view, no problem setting that up. But the range is crazy showing 20-999 so even making the smallest adjustment creates a huge jump and it's near impossible to control tempo in single digits increments. Is there a way to shorten the range so the control is more accurate? Pretty sure a range of 40-200 or so would be plenty for my current uses without creating any troubles.

Thanks for any advice or tips :)

Da hand

Re: Modify or shorten tempo range for MIDI mapping on a surface controller.

Post by Da hand » Fri May 03, 2019 6:43 am

You can set the range of any MIDI mapping in the MIDI Mapping Browser (when in MIDI Mapping Mode).

A MIDI parameter/control can hold 128 values - from 0 to 127 for example. The resulting size of the increments from the MIDI mapping is simply the overall range of your parameter divided by 128. The jumps you are experiencing correspond to your range - in your case 20-999 BPM - divided by 128.

If you want the BPM to go up and down in 1 BPM increments, you have to set a 128 BPM range. That way the range of 128 divides by 128 to give you 1 BPM increments.

So for example if you set your BPM range as Min = 100 and Max = 227, then you will have 1 BPM increments.

wavescapes

Re: Modify or shorten tempo range for MIDI mapping on a surface controller.

Post by wavescapes » Fri May 03, 2019 3:17 pm

Perfect. Easy enough. Thanks!