High Latency VSTs

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
RedSkyRoad

High Latency VSTs

Post by RedSkyRoad » Sat May 04, 2019 2:50 pm

Hi,

So this morning I added two Fabfilter Pro-Q3 EQs to two channels respectively and used the Linear phase setting. As expected, my project's MIDI latency shot through the roof, but after turning them off, or even removing them, I still had the same terrible latency. Only saving the project with them turned off and re-opening it, returned the latency to normal.

Is this normal or a bug? How do I find other latency causing VSTs, because it still isn't as low as an empty project with one synth in.

Regards,
B
AMD Ryzen 3900X 12-Core 4GHz // 16GB RAM // M.2 SSD
Ableton [latest stable release]
Windows 10 Pro

TLW

Re: High Latency VSTs

Post by TLW » Sat May 04, 2019 6:10 pm

If you hover the mouse pointer over the device’s title bar in the bottom window it should tell you how much latency the plugin is causing. If you use Waves plugins their website tells you what the plugin induced latencies are - unfortunately most plugin makers aren’t so helpful.

As I understand things switching a plugin off won’t reduce latency in most (maybe all) DAWs because the software has to be prepared to seamlessly and smoothly handle things if you switch the plugin on. So to prevent things getting out of alignment allows for the plugin latency whether it’s on or off. Otherwise automating plugin bypass settings could cause problems.

I’ve also noticed that Live doesn’t seem to always correct for high latency-inducing plugins being deleted unless the project is saved, closed then reopened.
Live 10 Suite, 2020 27" iMac, 3.6 GHz i9, MacOS Catalina, RME UFX, assorted synths, guitars and stuff.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Sat May 04, 2019 6:48 pm

The latency should go away when removing these plugins (not when turned off).
Can you report your finding to support@ableton.com please?
Ableton Forum Moderator

RedSkyRoad

Post by RedSkyRoad » Sun May 05, 2019 4:11 pm

TLW wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 6:10 pm
If you hover the mouse pointer over the device’s title bar in the bottom window it should tell you how much latency the plugin is causing. If you use Waves plugins their website tells you what the plugin induced latencies are - unfortunately most plugin makers aren’t so helpful.

As I understand things switching a plugin off won’t reduce latency in most (maybe all) DAWs because the software has to be prepared to seamlessly and smoothly handle things if you switch the plugin on. So to prevent things getting out of alignment allows for the plugin latency whether it’s on or off. Otherwise automating plugin bypass settings could cause problems.

I’ve also noticed that Live doesn’t seem to always correct for high latency-inducing plugins being deleted unless the project is saved, closed then reopened.
This makes sense, yes because I too automate some VSTs like autofilters to go off when not used anymore.
AMD Ryzen 3900X 12-Core 4GHz // 16GB RAM // M.2 SSD
Ableton [latest stable release]
Windows 10 Pro

TLW

Post by TLW » Sun May 05, 2019 10:50 pm

[jur] wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 6:48 pm
The latency should go away when removing these plugins (not when turned off).
Can you report your finding to support@ableton.com please?
Latency not being corrected when a high-latency plugin is deleted is something I’ve had happen, but not at all often and I’ve yet to be able to make it happen at will or work out which plugin(s) or combination of plugin(s) might be involved.

I know there’s nothing worse than trying to fix an intermittent fault/bug you can’t reproduce, so if I come across the issue again I’ll try and save the project in it’s buggy state and let support know.
Live 10 Suite, 2020 27" iMac, 3.6 GHz i9, MacOS Catalina, RME UFX, assorted synths, guitars and stuff.