Moving a project from Session to Arrangement view

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
creative_beast

Moving a project from Session to Arrangement view

Post by creative_beast » Mon May 13, 2019 1:32 am

I am watching a tutorial about how to do this and it look like the teacher is saying you need to rerecord the song. Thats not the weird part though. While demonstrating how to do that we were unable to hear the song as it was recording so he was counting the Intro, Verse, Chorus and clicking on the track to start/change it.
Isn't there a better way????
Thanks!

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Moving a project from Session to Arrangement view

Post by [jur] » Mon May 13, 2019 2:20 am

You're not obliged to record the song. You can drag or copy/paste your Session clips/scenes into Arrangement. You only need to record Session clips that have automations to carry them over to Arrangement.
And of course you can hear everything while recording. He was probably talking about his video voice-over (I suppose) passing through Live.
Ableton Forum Moderator

creative_beast

Post by creative_beast » Mon May 13, 2019 2:55 am

Thank you! That makes sense. I will learn what automations are soon enough.

Mulberry9

Post by Mulberry9 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:54 am

I am sooooo confused. I'm trying to copy from Session view and paste into Arrangement; the Manual says you can do this and makes it sound easy. It isn't. I have tried copying and pasting, and the track shows up in Arrangement, but it won't play. i tried a few more times and now I have 5 tracks in Arrangement, but none of them play any sound, and the first one is greyed out for some unknown reason. it's a midi track. Track Activator buttons are grey and won't turn on. What to do??

Mulberry9

Post by Mulberry9 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:46 am

Even more confused now. I tried changing the Input type (in Arrangement view still) to see which tracks might play. I chose a different selection for each track. I unchecked the solo button i had on (i have checked and unchecked it, and nothing would play either way) and now ALL the tracks will play. This makes NO sense. I didn't really do anything, and the track which had "All Ins" in the Input still has that, and now it plays; one track has "MIDI" chosen, one "Grand Piano", one "E-MU Xmidi1". They all didn't play. Now they all do. There is no rhyme or reason to this. Ableton you're killing me.

Mulberry9

Post by Mulberry9 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:53 am

I have also somehow managed to create extra copies in the session view - no idea how that happened, and it makes even LESS sense because I now have 3 tracks which have identical two clips in them, (5 1-Grand Piano and 6 1-Grand Piano show up in each of 3 tracks), but in Arrangement view, there are three of the "5-1" clip but only ONE of the "6-1". This makes no sense. I copied them the same way. I Just wanted ONE copy of each clip in the arrangement view, and no extra copies in session view. why did this happen??

Mulberry9

Post by Mulberry9 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:57 am

I have now spent 9 hours trying to copy clips from Session to Arrangement. It looks like they copied, the notes are showing in the main window, I've poked around with all the buttons to the right of each clip, but only the top one plays. It has "Master" in the output box, but the others don't have that option and there doesn't seeem to be any reason for this. They were all recorded from a AKAI MPK mini keyboard. I highlighted the clips in Session view, clicked and held while then pressing the tab key, then dropping into a track in Arrangement. No sound happens when i "play" these clips, except for the one at the top. There is NOTHING specific about this in the Manual, at least not that I can find.

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:21 am

Search "Back to Arrangement"

Best regards
Darren