editing/listening to show file built while connected to interface external outputs... when not connected to interface

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
LittleDestroyerMusic

editing/listening to show file built while connected to interface external outputs... when not connected to interface

Post by LittleDestroyerMusic » Tue May 14, 2019 4:25 am

Hello All!

I would like to know what people do to work around the following:

I have an large Ableton file I use for live shows. Its about 70min of tracks and soft synths. My Live rig uses a Motu Ultralight with 8 outputs configured and it works great.... However, when I am on the road or at home and away from the live rig I want to do edits to my file while not connected to the Motu. This is a problem when the file has been saved with "external outs" specified. When not connected to the MOTU, it uses the "built in Audio" on my MacBook and deactivates the outputs that are not set to output "1/2" or Master. I can't hear the other 6 channels of audio.

Is there a workaround so I don't have to manually change all of the external outs per audio track to output 1/2 or master when not connected to an interface and using the MacBooks internal audio? Because when I reconnect to the MOTU after editing I have to manually change the external outputs back from 1/2 or master.

I hope this is a clear question and y'all understand what I am getting at!

CHEERS! xoxox

TLW

Re: editing/listening to show file built while connected to interface external outputs... when not connected to interfac

Post by TLW » Tue May 14, 2019 8:20 pm

This is one way to do it, at least I've just done a quick test and it seems to work for me. Still a bit messy though, maybe someone's got a better idea.

The principle behind this is based on how things are done when working with a hardware mixer feeding monitoring/PA through the main outs and a tape machine using the mixer's aux sends.

Create a new return track with output to master.
In the Master track set the track sends to that new return track to "pre fader". That way the fader setting won't affect what gets sent to the new return track.
You can then create a new mix using those pre-fader sends and Live should still retain the settings for the external outputs when you connect to an interface. The output setting for the tracks can be left alone, it doesn't matter if they point at outputs that no longer exist because the audio will be routed try the sends to the new return track then from that to the Master track. I hope that makes sense.

The sends, or at least the return track they feed, will need to be turned down/muted when the interface is in use, obviously.
Live 10.1 Suite, M4L, 2014/15 MacBook Pro 15.3” Retina i7, OS Mojave 10.14.5. RME UFX, assorted synths, guitars and stuff.