Guitar too loud through monitors

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
shoguning

Guitar too loud through monitors

Post by shoguning » Wed May 15, 2019 4:19 am

So, I'm playing a guitar through a few pedals into ableton - the output from the last guitar pedal is then connected to a roland tri-capture, which is connected to my computer and some monitors.

If I'm recording so i have both the recorded part playing and my new guitar part playing, if the new guitar part is around as loud as i'd want it to be in the mix, it's like 20-25 decibels quieter when i play it back. I can fix this by just cranking the sample volume in ableton up, but i'm wondering why this is happening? shouldn't the playback volume be as loud as it was originally played in?

Thanks in advance!

fishmonkey

Re: Guitar too loud through monitors

Post by fishmonkey » Wed May 15, 2019 11:22 am

it depends how you are monitoring your playing while tracking (recording).

it sounds like maybe you are using direct monitoring from your audio interface, so you aren't actually hearing what is being recorded...
badbrainz wrote: I'm a drummer, so I'm already at an intellectual disadvantage here

TLW

Re: Guitar too loud through monitors

Post by TLW » Wed May 15, 2019 5:10 pm

fishmonkey wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 11:22 am
it depends how you are monitoring your playing while tracking (recording).
Absolutely.

It’s also possible that while recording the guitar is being monitored “direct” through the interface and also via Live because the track monitoring if left at the default “auto” will automatically be set to “on” when recording unless it’s been switched to “off”.

Playback, assuming the track fader isn’t moved, will then be at whatever level the signal was recorded by Live.
Live 10.1 Suite, M4L, 2014/15 MacBook Pro 15.3” Retina i7, OS Mojave 10.14.5. RME UFX, assorted synths, guitars and stuff.