Is this still a problem in Live v10?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tony Flagg

Is this still a problem in Live v10?

Post by Tony Flagg » Thu May 16, 2019 9:26 pm

Forgive me if I can't get with the program...

Why do I have to pay out for some 3rd party software just to destructively edit an audio clip? Bring up the clip viewer, zoom it. Its a line. Why can't I put a node on that line and drag it somewhere? Why can't I apply crossfades or fadeouts? If Ableton wants to unseat the elephant in the room, maybe a few of these simple things that have been working in other DAWs for decades now should be in Live. And if these capabilities are in the software, why doesn't the documentation tell me how to use them? Just sayin...

Da hand

Re: Is this still a problem in Live v10?

Post by Da hand » Thu May 16, 2019 10:49 pm

Of course you can edit destructively in Live if you wish. It's been there for ages. "Consolidate" or "Crop" will get you started.

Manual: 6.12 Consolidating Clips
Manual: 8.2.10 Cropping Audio Clips

You can also render out your edits for more control:
Manual: 5.2.3 Exporting Audio and Video
Tony Flagg wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 9:26 pm
Bring up the clip viewer, zoom it. Its a line. Why can't I put a node on that line and drag it somewhere?
Sorry I don't know what you are trying to say with the above.
Tony Flagg wrote:
Why can't I apply crossfades or fadeouts?
Of course, you can, That is what "fades", "crossfades" and "automation envelopes" are for.

Manual: 6.7. Audio Clip Fades and Crossfades
Manual: 19. Automation and Editing Envelopes
Manual: 20. Clip Envelopes

Tony Flagg wrote:
If Ableton wants to unseat the elephant in the room, maybe a few of these simple things that have been working in other DAWs for decades now should be in Live. And if these capabilities are in the software, why doesn't the documentation tell me how to use them? Just sayin...
All this has been around for many years already in Live. It's all there in the manual (as I have shown above). Of course, you might not find any elephant drawings, if that is what you were looking for... :P