Routing to different MIDI tracks from a rack

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mu71rd

Routing to different MIDI tracks from a rack

Post by mu71rd » Thu May 23, 2019 1:32 pm

I'd like to use a rack's chain control to determine where the MIDI for an input track (that has a keyboard attached) is sent to. ie I have 5 MIDI instrument channels, each with a different instrument plugin, which I'll make available to my two keyboards. I'd like to use the chain control on a rack to determine which instrument track receives the midi from my keyboard.

I have it currently set up that a keyboard input track has an instrument rack with 'external instrument' device on each chain. Within that 'external instrument' device is a dropdown option to route directly to most of my VST instruments. However, none of my Arturia plugins (Analog Lab 4, etc) show up in that "MIDI TO" dropdown. I haven no idea why, but there you go. Must be a bug with Arturia plugins, or perhaps a deliberate choice.

Instead of using an instrument rack with 'ext. instrument' devices on it to route MIDI, is there another way I can use a chain selector to route MIDI to that Instrument Track?

thanks in advance.

wearemindflux

Re: Routing to different MIDI tracks from a rack

Post by wearemindflux » Thu May 23, 2019 3:50 pm

So are you trying to swap between different sounds in 1 rack?

Have you set up your midi controls in the midi preferences
Grab your free techno samples here>>>http://bit.ly/2YAS8so

mu71rd

Post by mu71rd » Thu May 23, 2019 4:44 pm

no, I'm trying to use the chain selector (which I can control) to switch where my input MIDI signal is routing to.

MIDI comes in the channel, currently goes into an instrument rack with chain selector. Each chain in the rack has an 'external instrument' device routing that chain's MIDI into a plugin. I can control which 'instrument' plays by changing the chain selector. Exactly as per thishttps://youtu.be/YQKSaUs6FFA?t=284

The issue is one of my plugins for some reason doesn't appear in the list. Presumably a design 'feature'.

Is there a different way, using racks and chain selectors, to route MIDI signals to other tracks in the session?

raindog

Post by raindog » Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:52 pm

Hey MU71rd,

Did you end up finding a solution to this? Having the same issue here with the Arturia stuff not appearing in 'midi to' list

SoundsMagic

Post by SoundsMagic » Tue Jul 11, 2023 2:41 pm

Just in case someone stumbles upon this old thread looking for the answer: Only multi-timbral plug-ins appear in the "MIDI TO" dropdown of the External Instrument. As for a solution, I myself have so far managed with keeping all mono-timbral plug-ins in their own Instrument Rack, or one Instrument Rack with all of them. Although I've just started playing with a new band where the live show is quite demanding for my Ableton Live set, so I'm currently researching and laborating with alternative solutions, using ClyphX Pro/Max4Live/scripting.