Send a MIDI Note to QLab

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Snoekie66

Send a MIDI Note to QLab

Post by Snoekie66 » Fri May 24, 2019 9:19 am

This might seem a stupid question, but how do I send a MIDI note to QLab? I'm trying to send a note to QLab which will trigger a series of cues for a lighting desk. I can receive MIDI from QLab but it won't recognise anything I send. I'm sure I'm doing it wrong. If someone could point me to a step-by-step tutorial somewhere? Thanks!

borg

Re: Send a MIDI Note to QLab

Post by borg » Fri May 24, 2019 11:12 am

I'm definitely no expert, and use QLab maybe once a year.
The one time I had troubles with QLab midi, was because the laptop QLab was on had gone to sleep. After waking up the computer, QLab midi just doesn't work anymore, although everything else seems to work (audio and video is fine after sleep). Apparently a known QLab problem.

Whenever I use QLab, it generally is the hub sending commands to lighting desk, audio desk and sending out video. Reading back your post, it seems you are doing the same, but with midi controlling QLab. I usually just use the computer keyboard to go through cues.

Are you using the full QLab version? I know there are some annoying restrictions when not using the full version. If not, you can rent the full version for a few days for crazy little money to try things out.

Is your midi note correct? A few months ago, I was doing sound for a contemporary music ensemble. Production with crazy good pianist and lots of Max/MSP and Jitter stuff going on, all controlled by the pianist, who had a Grand and a midi keyboard, triggering all the video and additional audio samples. All was working fine in rehearsals, went for dinner, and checked after, all apparently working.
Audience enters, lights dim, pianist comes on to stage, puts himself at midi keyboard, starts playing,... and nothing happens. Three times the composer and his friend Max nerd go crazy, restart Max/MSP (lots of videos have to be loaded again), try from behind their computers, all working, pianist comes on, starts, again nothing happens. All very embarrassing. It took twenty minutes to find the actual problem.
What had happened? The pianist had for some reason changed the transposition of the keyboard during the final soundcheck, and hadn't put it back. So when the show started, his midi keyboard was not sending the correct triggers for Max.
Last edited by borg on Fri May 24, 2019 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
andy
2015 MBP, OSX 10.12, Live 10.1 64bit, RME Fireface 800

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Fri May 24, 2019 11:18 am

are you using the IAC bus?

Snoekie66

Post by Snoekie66 » Sun May 26, 2019 10:26 pm

Managed to get it to work... It wouldn't work with the USB midi cable. But the moment I ran it through the MIDI outputs on the soundcard, it worked. I'll troubleshoot some more, but this was very strange. And it was as simple as creating a MIDI note in a MIDI clip and routing it out through the soundcard. QLab immediately picked it up. No IAC bus necessary. Thanks for all the suggestions!

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Sun May 26, 2019 10:35 pm

most USB-MIDI cables are crappy.

are Live and QLab both running on the same machine? it isn't clear from your posts...