Store external samples in User Library or not?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ark

Store external samples in User Library or not?

Post by ark » Sat May 25, 2019 2:55 pm

Supppose you get a library of samples from somewhere--you bought them, or made a bunch of field recordings, or whatever.

Of course you put them all in a folder so you can get at them. Do you put that folder in your User Library?

It seems to me that the answer isn't obvious. If you do put them in your User Library, they will automatically show up in the "Samples" category--but is that a good thing if they are a lot of them? OTOH, if you don't put them there, you have to know where they are in order to search for them.

So which is it? What's your personal strategy?

Tarekith

Re: Store external samples in User Library or not?

Post by Tarekith » Sat May 25, 2019 3:48 pm

I keep all my own samples in a separate folder, and then add it to Lives places in the browser. That way I can organize it the way I want, and I'll be used to the same folder structure if I want to use them in other apps. And to be honest, I test a lot of versions of Live and often have to do clean installs so it helps not having to remember to back up my library all the time.

ark

Re: Store external samples in User Library or not?

Post by ark » Sun May 26, 2019 5:54 pm

What about kits and instruments that use those samples? What I find is that when I get a library from somewhere, I can't put it in a random folder in Places and also have it find its samples correctly. If I load a preset, for example, it typically won't find the corresponding samples. I can locate them manually but then I can't save the preset back because it's not in my User Library.

There must be a standard way of doing this...?