Ableton 10 Envelope Edit Zoom In/Out - surely this must be possible?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
FrillyBits

Ableton 10 Envelope Edit Zoom In/Out - surely this must be possible?

Post by FrillyBits » Sat May 25, 2019 3:46 pm

When editing my automation envelope it does not seem possible to zoom in and out vertically (either in clip view or arrangement view) - I am really surprised by this as this seems like such an important feature. Hopefully I'm missing something and someone can tell me but I've tried lots of things.

When I'm viewing my automation envelope and adding break points the, e.g. in clip view, my automation parameter has a range possible values from -127 to +127, I can see the range values on the y axis scale (i.e. on the left of the grid) but this scale might appear as e.g only. between -80 to -127 (e.g. only showing about 20% of the range). This makes it difficult to draw an envelop of say -127 to +127. Why can't I zoom out to -127 to +127 and see the whole scale of automation range? If I hover over this scale the hand icon appears and I can scroll up and down but that is not really helpful if I want to automate a parameter between -127 and 127.

I note that with the clip's note box displayed, I can hover over the vertical keyboard (or notes) and the magnifying glass icon appears, in this view I can zoom vertically by moving mouse to left and right - but that does not work in envelope mode - why not? It is really driving me nuts?

I also tried the 10.1 Beta which promises:

Live 10.1 makes switching between detailed views and big-picture editing faster with streamlined keyboard shortcuts, pinch zooming on compatible computers, a resizable Arrangement Overview window, and more.

But I couldn't see anything there either.

H_a_n_n_e_s

Re: Ableton 10 Envelope Edit Zoom In/Out - surely this must be possible?

Post by H_a_n_n_e_s » Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:51 am

Yes, I have the same problem!
This missing feature is very annoying. 😞

Seta666

Post by Seta666 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:50 pm

Same problem here; I have the problem with a max4live device, on the left you can see the values (0 to 127) but only see a very small range depending on size of clip view.. with defaults max4life devices or ableton´s included instruments or fx I have not noticed this.

EDIT: I have found the problem, seems to have something to do with M4L parameter type setting

I opened a new thread

nivek_yoccm

Post by nivek_yoccm » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:05 pm

yeah I've run into this too and just found this thread. . . still pretty new to Ableton so looking for bug report land -- hope this gets fixed; I'll be doing a lot of this type of clip envelope editing as I can't find a workaround even in arrangement view. . .

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:12 pm

Just physically resize the envelope section to get more room. If in arrangement mode, add the envelope to a new track view and resize that track to as much as you need.

ddrreeaammaaeerraa

Post by ddrreeaammaaeerraa » Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:48 pm

Still needing a fix to this in 2022...

schlam

Post by schlam » Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:42 pm

I dont think it's a bug.
But I really dont like this behaviour too..

ljvdhooft

Post by ljvdhooft » Mon May 30, 2022 2:24 pm

Change the object's type from Int to Float and it shows up correctly (zoomed out)

Raphaël D

Post by Raphaël D » Thu Jun 22, 2023 4:28 pm

UP

It's 2023 and I'm still extremely anoyed by the way you edit MIDI CC automation in Live. Let me zoom out this nonsense range, I don't wanna scroll my way through every midi automation, talk about workflow...