Change pitch of a midi sample, but not speed

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
whatup_tj

Change pitch of a midi sample, but not speed

Post by whatup_tj » Mon May 27, 2019 3:39 am

I need help changing the pitch of a midi clip without changing its speed. I want to keep the speed of the sample constant throughout all notes on the piano roll. Thanks!

Da hand

Re: Change pitch of a midi sample, but not speed

Post by Da hand » Mon May 27, 2019 6:27 am

Pitch and tempo are unrelated when it comes to MIDI - unlike some scenarios when dealing with audio files. You mention a MIDI clip, but also a "sample". It is unclear what you want to achieve exactly if there are audio samples also involved - there are various scenarios that come to mind.

On the MIDI side itself, to change the pitch of MIDI notes you can either move the notes up or down in the MIDI clip itself or you can add a MIDI Pitch effect to the MIDI track (look in Live's MIDI effects for "Pitch")

Manual: 23.4 Pitch
https://www.ableton.com/en/manual/live- ... 23-4-pitch

whatup_tj

Post by whatup_tj » Fri May 31, 2019 2:58 am

Is there anyway to move up notes in a piano roll without changing the speed of the midi.

chrk

Post by chrk » Fri May 31, 2019 3:13 am

Which sampling instrument is your sample in now?

24.8 Simpler has warp controls, Sampler hasn't.
When the Warp switch is off, Simpler behaves like a “conventional” sampler; as you play back the sample at different pitches, the sample plays back at different speeds. In some cases, this is exactly the effect that you want. But when working with samples that have their own inherent rhythm, you may want to enable Warp. This will cause Simpler to play back the sample in sync with your current song tempo, regardless of which notes you play.

whatup_tj

Post by whatup_tj » Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:37 am

Dang, its really that simple. Sorry, I am pretty new to ableton.