Ableton Arrangement View Automation

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Ree Fagbemi

Ableton Arrangement View Automation

Post by Ree Fagbemi » Tue May 28, 2019 1:57 pm

How can one record automation in the arrangement view? It is possible to draw the automation. Though this is precise, it is faster to record automation.

Take for example, I want to change my ratio of compression with time. Is it not possible to hit record and fiddle with the ratio knob? Hence, leaving the original signal intact, but recording the automation of the knob

Ree Fagbemi

Re: Ableton Arrangement View Automation

Post by Ree Fagbemi » Wed May 29, 2019 11:03 am

The documentation states that the closest way to achieve this is “by manually changing parameters while recording new material directly into the Arrangement.”

In my case, I’m not recording new material. I just want to draw the automation in real time on old material/signal. I don’t think it’s a feature yet.

gbert

Post by gbert » Wed May 29, 2019 2:34 pm

You can record only automation on an existing track if you enable the Automation Arm button and disable the track’s Recording Arm button, and then select the Record button. Then move the controls you would like to automate while recording is ongoing. It will save only the automation data and leave the track’s audio/midi intact.

Not sure why this isn’t stated in the above sections of the manual.

Ree Fagbemi

Post by Ree Fagbemi » Fri May 31, 2019 4:13 pm

Thank you, this is invaluable!