Retaining clip-lane data for FX racks

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
lastory

Retaining clip-lane data for FX racks

Post by lastory » Wed May 29, 2019 9:00 am

Hi Guys,

Running into a really frustrating problem in my LIVE set reorganisation.

1. I create duplicate racks in session view with multiple FX in it, on 8 tracks (the chain selector is mapped to a single macro on each FX rack) - chain selector distributed evenly.

2. I lock in which FX applies to the certain clips by clicking on the number in the clip lane which then automatically selects the correct FX in the rack but changing the position of the macro knob.

3. I can move a clip from track 1 to track 2 (or others) as the racks are duplicate racks - the clip retains the information to choose the relevant number on the macro so it also trigger the underlying FX...all good.

4. I need to update my FX rack, I add one more effect and choose the very last number 128 so as to not mess up the other data ranges on the chain selector so the clip lane data on existing clips still trigger the correct pre-existing FX via the macro knob.

5. I transfer a clip from another track into the new track (with the updated effect in the new rack) and Ableton deletes the lane data.

Its like Ableton has said...hmm this is a different rack coz I can see add a n effect into it.....and I will now delete your lane data even though the lane data would still work.

Question:

1. Is there a way to update my FX racks without having to go through the whole project and re-do every clip automation for FX selection!?????