Live 10.1 crashes every time when trying to load a song

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Live 10.1 crashes every time when trying to load a song

Post by [jur] » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:46 am

jbone1313 wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:15 pm
I worked on a project for hours yesterday and now it won’t open.
This sounds like something updated in the background... Windows?
Ableton Forum Moderator

jbone1313

Post by jbone1313 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:56 am

Thanks for the reply. I narrowed it down to a plugin that is crashing when I load the set.

Is there any easy way to find out which one is causing the crash without doing something like this:

-Remove all plugins from folder
-Add each plugin one at a time
-Rescan plugins
-Reload set
-Repeat the above steps 50 times

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:28 am

jbone1313 wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:56 am
Thanks for the reply. I narrowed it down to a plugin that is crashing when I load the set.

Is there any easy way to find out which one is causing the crash without doing something like this:

-Remove all plugins from folder
-Add each plugin one at a time
-Rescan plugins
-Reload set
-Repeat the above steps 50 times
there is a log, and it's probably going to show the issue, https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... sh-Reports

but if it doesn't.
I'd write down all the plugins in the problem set,
make a new empty set, add each plugin in the list and save that set as "positive test" close live open it again, load "positive test" . if it crashes live then continue, if not, end.

if positive test crashed live there's a procedural method to find the needle in your haystack. Halving.

Lets say there are 40 plugins and one of them is causing a crash on load. that's too many to add one by one, save, close, load. that's too many operations - so what you do is this:

take your list of all 40 plugins and create an empty blank set, add the first half of the list to your blank set (add the first 20 plugins) Save it as "problem 20", close, load it - does it crash?

if the set crashes then the problem is in that 20, if it does not crash the problem is in the other 20.

pick the problem 20 list (whichever that is) and choose the first 10 plugins make a new set "problem 10". Same again, add those 10, save, close, open. Did it crash? the problem is in that ten.

do it again, this time with 5. etc etc.

this way you find the culprit in 5 moves rather than 40.

jbone1313

Post by jbone1313 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:19 am

Thanks for the reply!

I did unpack those dumps in Visual Studio, and I didn’t see anything useful. I’ll try again.

My situation is challenging, because the plugins only seem to crash in this set. I’ll get to the bottom of it with process of elimination.

Supporting users troubleshooting these types of things with logs and crash protection is an area Ableton really needs to improve.

I’ll report back.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:57 am

jbone1313 wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:19 am
Supporting users troubleshooting these types of things with logs and crash protection is an area Ableton really needs to improve.
Write to support@ableton.com and you'll get troubleshooting support...
Ableton Forum Moderator

jbone1313

Post by jbone1313 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:08 am

[jur] wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:57 am
jbone1313 wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:19 am
Write to support@ableton.com and you'll get troubleshooting support...
Thank you. Ableton's support is, indeed, responsive. What I mean is Ableton should have a log, which users can inspect, which shows what is causing the crash (if possible of course). If a plugin causes a crash, that exception should be handled and logged to place where users can inspect it.

Anyhow, through process of elimination, I narrowed down the plugin which was causing my crash. In case anyone is interested, it was MetricAB, the VST3 version.

Kryptune

Post by Kryptune » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:41 am

Such a reporting function is very much needed indeed. If a plugin is causing a crash it can be very time consuming to identify the responsible troublemaker. By the way, VST3 versions of plugins (by different vendors) in Live caused many of the crashes I had recently. So I try to avoid them where possible... :?

rdmsgl

Post by rdmsgl » Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:54 pm

mitkreis wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:43 am
EDIT:

Ableton Support (thank you Simone!) was able to help me.
I had to start ableton with integrated graphics processor and now it just works fine.
This worked perfectly for me!

Teace

Post by Teace » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:06 pm

any news here yet? Having some issues, also with the latest version of Max. Ableton is very sluggish to respond in these times. LFO's give problems and cause crashes. Temporary 'solution' is to assign a X-Control to turn off all devices before saving and turning on LFO's when I really need them.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:02 pm

Please reach out to support@ableton.com
Ableton Forum Moderator