Behringer UMC404HD channel bleed on Mac

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jasonvsc

Behringer UMC404HD channel bleed on Mac

Post by jasonvsc » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:40 pm

Hi All,

I am a worship leader and I use Ableton Live for live multitrack sets every week. I was using a windows based pc for a while but I have switched to a mac (old pc kicked the bucket). I now have a problem that I can not fix. I am getting a bleed between channels. I can hear the click and the cues faintly in the house no matter what I do. Here is what I know.

Its not my computer (Tried my buddies brand new mac that he uses for the same setup at another church, his did the same thing)

It's not the cables (switched between several and settled on brand new shielded xlrs)

It's not at the board (Even if I completely disconnect the click track send (xlr from the interface) the channel is still bleeding the same way. So no physical click/cue output and still getting click/que faintly)

It's not necessarily the interface (I hooked up a scarlett that did the same thing, just much more faintly)

I have ran tracks for years and this is the first time that I have had this particular problem and it has me stumped. I could probably make the scarlett interface work because it has a downloadable "Scarlett MixControl" that allows you to specify settings for the interfaces interaction with mac. From what I have seen, there is nothing like this for the UMC404HD because it comes "plug and play" ready for a mac with default CoreAudio drivers.

Please let me know if you know of any software that I am missing that would allow me to control the interface a little better on the computer side or of anything that I might be missing. This past Sunday was an acoustic set at the last minute and it looking this same for next sunday if I don't get this resolved ASAP!

Thanks and I look forward to the replies!!!

jasonvsc

Re: Behringer UMC404HD channel bleed on Mac

Post by jasonvsc » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:21 pm

Anything.....

TLW

Post by TLW » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:17 pm

Do you get cross-talk from the click if you use the Mac’s built in sound? Is there cross-talk involving any sound other than the click?

If the Mac’s soundcard makes the problem go away, then there’s your answer for where the cross-talk is coming from.

If the problem persists then either the routing in Live or the Mac’s Audio/MIDI setup needs looking at.

Which it might anyway - just to check, are you sure the click isn’t being fed into any of Live’s send/return channels which can end up appearing in the master outputs?.

It might also be worth reducing the volume the click is being sent to the interface at - I’ve no idea what the “official” cross-talk figures are for Behringer interfaces, but it might be you need to drop the level entering the interface and boost it more at the mixer.
Live 10 Suite, 2020 27" iMac, 3.6 GHz i9, MacOS Catalina, RME UFX, assorted synths, guitars and stuff.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:15 pm

based on your description the most likely cause is a routing mistake in Live...

jasonvsc

Post by jasonvsc » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:45 pm

Do you get cross-talk from the click if you use the Mac’s built in sound? Is there cross-talk involving any sound other than the click?
Even using the built in sound gives crosstalk, just way less. That is what I did this past Sunday. I went out of the headphone jack with split XLR and bypassed the interface. The cross talk is the click and the cues, both of which are sent to channel 1 everything else is sent to channel 2.

If the Mac’s soundcard makes the problem go away, then there’s your answer for where the cross-talk is coming from.
I also tried a brand new mac that a buddy uses for the same thing at a different church. The same thing happened with his. With his routing settings that he uses every Sunday.
If the problem persists then either the routing in Live or the Mac’s Audio/MIDI setup needs looking at.
Which it might anyway - just to check, are you sure the click isn’t being fed into any of Live’s send/return channels which can end up appearing in the master outputs?.
I will post some pics below.

It might also be worth reducing the volume the click is being sent to the interface at - I’ve no idea what the “official” cross-talk figures are for Behringer interfaces, but it might be you need to drop the level entering the interface and boost it more at the mixer.
I have tried this but I will try it again, more drastically.

jasonvsc

Post by jasonvsc » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:09 pm

I have all the tracks going out to channel 2. All Cues and ableton click going out to channel 1. If I just use the headphone jack I can still hear the bleed. If I switch the channels the bleed is less noticeable. In other words, if I reverse the outputs. the track bleeds into the click some...which I guess is at least doable.

So the bleed is only happening one way.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:33 pm

sounding more and more like a problem with your Live routing...

TLW

Post by TLW » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:23 pm

Sorry for not getting back to this earlier, we had a family emergency that's taken up a huge amount of time over the last week. It's sorted out now, I hope (fingers crossed).

Hopefully you've sorted out the cause of your DAW problem by now, but if you haven't the only thing I can think at this stage is that somehow your signal routing in Live is resulting in the cross-talk.

If the problem is still there, it might be useful to know how you have the outputs configured in the projects with the problem. Also whether you are creating your own click track or using Live's metronome and if it is your own click is it being sent to any send/return tracks.
Live 10 Suite, 2020 27" iMac, 3.6 GHz i9, MacOS Catalina, RME UFX, assorted synths, guitars and stuff.