Best setup/configuration for multiple hardware synths/effects

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
panellaj

Best setup/configuration for multiple hardware synths/effects

Post by panellaj » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:42 am

Setup
-----
1 Poly synth
2 Bass/mono synths
1 Multi-FX processor
Komplete Audio 6

The KA6 will accommodate the synths without any mods, however, the problem is the effects processor. I could use it in-line on one of the synths at a time but that seems very limiting. Ideally, I'd like to use I/O 3&4 on the KA6 for the processor but that would leave me 2 inputs short. I also have a 5 channel mixer that I could run all the synths through but then everything is coming into the DAW on one set of inputs. Again, limiting. The best solution would be to get a better audio interface. Suggestions?

I'm really just talking this through and any input is appreciated.

Thanks

Mark Williams

Re: Best setup/configuration for multiple hardware synths/effects

Post by Mark Williams » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:30 am

You neglected to say what FX processor, does it not have Spdif? If so why not use that on the KA6 spdif in/outputs 5/6?
Live 11, M1 Mac Mini, Push 2, Scarlett 18i20 & ADA8200, Softube Console 1 Mk2, Deepmind12, Hydrasynth, Cobalt 8M, Moog Subsequent 25, IK Uno Synth Pro, Plethora X3, Nord Drum 3P

panellaj

Post by panellaj » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:03 pm

Yes, that would be great if it did have spdif but it does not. :( H9 Max
Last edited by panellaj on Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TLW

Post by TLW » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:47 pm

Audio interfaces come at a wide price range.

Personally I like RME - excellent sound quality and low latency drivers, rock solid and the company have a reputation for supporting their products well after they are no longer made, but RME are not cheap. Some have good built-in if a bit basic reverb, delay, eq and compression that can either be recorded or used just for monitoring.

Focusrite are good value, as are MOTU.

If you’re using Windows getting an interface with a manufacturer supplied ASIO driver is a good idea.
Live 10 Suite, 2020 27" iMac, 3.6 GHz i9, MacOS Catalina, RME UFX, assorted synths, guitars and stuff.

panellaj

Post by panellaj » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:01 pm

I’m using a Mac, so that’s not an issue.

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:00 am

panellaj wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:42 am
Setup
-----
1 Poly synth
2 Bass/mono synths
1 Multi-FX processor
Komplete Audio 6

The KA6 will accommodate the synths without any mods, however, the problem is the effects processor. I could use it in-line on one of the synths at a time but that seems very limiting. Ideally, I'd like to use I/O 3&4 on the KA6 for the processor but that would leave me 2 inputs short. I also have a 5 channel mixer that I could run all the synths through but then everything is coming into the DAW on one set of inputs. Again, limiting. The best solution would be to get a better audio interface. Suggestions?

I'm really just talking this through and any input is appreciated.

Thanks

Mixer vs bigger audio interface.

Mixer is the quick and dirty method but a bigger Interface could work too. Like a focusrite scarlett 1820. Using adat io you could buy an adat io box like behringer ada 8200 which would give you 16 inputs for the scarlett turning it essentially into a crude digital mixer but with the advantage of being easily accessible in your DAW.

Mixers can take up space get old (but so can audio interface) but is usually more commonly used and some might like the analog EQ, preamps that usually come with them. That said to get anything of quality you would need to spend. That said for live bands, small mixers come in handy.

Stating you are just two inputs short I would consider a bigger interface. More compact. I had a huge mixer and just stopped using it. It took up a whole bunch of space, I also had to service it alot and routing cables for tracking synths out can slow your workflow. A bigger interface might be less of a hassle and it sounds like you aren't necessarily into submixing you external synths.