CPU overload after SSD upgrade

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
sihepton

CPU overload after SSD upgrade

Post by sihepton » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:06 am

So I have 2012 I& MacBook 8gb ram running Movave and Ableton 9. I was finding projects we taking a long time to load up when opening them especially if there was a lot of plug ins. So I decided to swap the drive out for a Samsung SSD. So did a Carbon copy clone. Installed the new drive. Bingo. Super fast load ups etc. Brilliant.

But....Projects that were fairly complicated. Mainly recorded live instruments with plugins and midi drums that would run at about 50% on the CPU load now are having a meltdown. Glitching uncontrollably hitting 130%. I don't understand. I've changed nothing but the drive. Its an exact copy but SDD instead of disk???!!!

To double check I rebooted from the old drive and it was back to how it was before.

Am I missing something???

How can I sort this.??? Help

fishmonkey

Re: CPU OVERLOAD AFTER SSD UPGRADE

Post by fishmonkey » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:52 pm

which SSD is it? are there any reported problems with it? and is it running the latest firmware?

another possibility is that the clone is corrupted. did you run the clone with verification turned on in CCC?

sihepton

Re: CPU overload after SSD upgrade

Post by sihepton » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:33 pm

Its a Samsung but not sure which model. I'd have to take the machine apart to look. Unless I can check on ABOUT THIS MAC. I wouldn't know where to start with firmware. Any tips?

Guess I should run some kind of disk diagnostics software. I was hoping it was something obvious like moving some folders or re-installing Ableton.

Jed

Post by Jed » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:48 pm

Can’t help but wanted to say stick with it as the result is amazing. I have a 2011 mbp and putting a 1 TB ssd has made it better than new

Cheers
Jed

sihepton

Post by sihepton » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:53 pm

Its a Samsung ssd 840 pro. Firmware DXM05B0Q. Which I think is the latest.

Maybe its the drive indexing. I'm gonna leave it switch on for a few nights.

Then see

Fanu

Post by Fanu » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:23 am

Yeah, would've suggested indexing; it has to be done at first.
It's often the same after installing a new OSX: users complain about initial slowness, and that's that.

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:43 am

sihepton wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:06 am
2012 I& MacBook 8gb ram running Movave and Ableton 9. I was finding projects we taking a long time to load up when opening them especially if there was a lot of plug ins.
FWIW, I have a simillar age and spec MBP to yours (Mid-2010 17"), especially noting the same 8Gb of max RAM. I had problems in Live 9 with big projects experiencing long load / save / quit times - like 3 to 5mins! Updating to Live 10 fixed this issue completely for me, in my experience there's something in the way 10 handles resources that helps running on older gear like ours. I'd recommend upgrading to 10, you've nothing to lose having Live 9 and 10 on your system at once, and you can see if it works even better.

HTH

*** Pitch Black has joind the group: Guys with old macs keeping them alive on 1TBSSD implants ***
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud

TLW

Post by TLW » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:44 pm

A couple of thoughts.

You might need to enable TRIM on the SSD to get the best out of it. With Mojave it should happen automatically but it does no harm to check. A quick way to check is to open "about this Mac" and pick the system report tab.

In system report open the hardware entry and go to SATA/SATA Express. Check the drive controller entries - if TRIM is enabled it will say so there. It will also show if the SMART status is OK ("verified" = OK). if "TRIM=no" then using the terminal "trimforce" command on the volume should enable it (google will find info on doing this). The drive should have been automatically formatted as APFS.

Running Disk Utility's first aid stuff on the drive - it will have three entries, opened by the down arrow next to the device name, run first aid on all three, starting at the top entry. That should find and (usually)fix any potential issues.

There's also the possibility that there's something strange going on with file permissions. Mojave should sort that out itself, but it can take are a bit of time.
Live 10 Suite, 2020 27" iMac, 3.6 GHz i9, MacOS Catalina, RME UFX, assorted synths, guitars and stuff.

Jed

Post by Jed » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:06 am

*** Pitch Black has joind the group: Guys with old macs keeping them alive on 1TBSSD implants ***

Lol!

Cheers
Jed

sihepton

Post by sihepton » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:56 am

AAAAAARRRRRGGGGGG!!!!!!

This is doing my head in.

I've switch off iCloud. Made sure indexing is complete. Run did utility. Checked that firmware on drive is upto date.

No change. CPU having a fit, glitches spewing all over my mix. Shit that my 5 year old disk drive handled fine.

so I upgrade from Ableton 9 to 10 thinking well I've always wanted 10 anyway.

Fucking thing is worse!!!!! AAAAAARRRRGGGGG I hate computers.

HEEEEELLLLPPP.

Any suggestions before I just wipe the fucking thing and reinstalling everything All bloody 300gb of Komplete, machine Arturia V collect, Massive Kontakt libraries

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:01 am

what plugins are you using? have you checked that they are all authorized with the SSD? some plugins will continue to work after cloning to a new drive, others won't as the drive change invalidates the authorization...

sihepton

Post by sihepton » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:30 am

All plugins are waves stuff or native instruments. My no software is showing all okay in native access.

Waves fine two.

Maschine software works fine with plugins galore.

It’s just Ableton.

Maybe I just bite the bullet an clean reinstall.

I’m afraid I’ll throw the machine out of the window though if I spend 8 hours reinstalling everything.

Is there any merit in wiping and re cloning the drive??
I just can’t see it making a difference myself.

TLW

Post by TLW » Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:13 pm

I remember seeing references to the 2012 MBP sometimes needing a new SATA cable if the drive is replaced.

So I did a bit of searching - these links might be relevant.
https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/356 ... y+brackets
https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/369 ... SD+upgrade
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pr ... ment/10379
Live 10 Suite, 2020 27" iMac, 3.6 GHz i9, MacOS Catalina, RME UFX, assorted synths, guitars and stuff.

sihepton

Post by sihepton » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:56 pm

I’m doing a total re-install. It’s the only way to make sure the issue is not with the drive.

Out of interest if any one is running 10. What’s your cpu at when you run the demo track that comes with it.

I’m at 25% and stable after the reinstall. I’ve only got 8g of ram.

See what it’s like once I’ve got all my plugins back in there.

I have my kontakt drums split to separate channels. This is one thing that seems to munch cpu power but you have to do it to get decent pro sounding drums. I usually print them to do the rest of the mix.

TLW

Post by TLW » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:04 pm

I was getting over 20% with an empty project and not even playing (i7 2.2GHz MBP, 16GB RAM, all SSD setup). Almost any plugins loaded took Live 10 to over 35% and glitching at a 128 sample buffer (RME UFX).

This dropped the idle resource use to 5% and I now don’t get glitching until it hits 70%+. For some reason Live 10 seems to hit Intel graphics very hard indeed and reducing Live’s frame-rate makes a big improvement. I can’t see any difference at all after dropping the refresh rate to 30 but everything works much better.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=230967