Clyphx pro sample accurate

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Razzkazz

Clyphx pro sample accurate

Post by Razzkazz » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:28 pm

Is Clyphx Pro sample accurate?

I am having an issue whereby when I play from a clip with the code "[] sig 4/4 ; bpm 58" to the next clip with the code"[] bpm 191 ; sig 4/4 there is a slight lag on audio stabs at the beginning of the clip, when the 2nd clip starts, like it's taking a few milliseconds to get up to 191. I am using Follow actions to go from one clip to the next.

I also tried using a "WAIT" message in the previous clip, trying get add the change just before the clip plays and the timing is unpredictable, as in not always the same.

Can anyone help here?
MBP M1 Max, MOTU Ultralite, Faderfox PC4, Akai LPD8, Push, Clyphx Pro
-----------------------------------------------
https://alangleeson.bandcamp.com/

S4racen

Re: Clyphx pro sample accurate

Post by S4racen » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:57 pm

Yes,the action lists of X-Clips, X-Cues and X-Scenes are all subject to a delay of up to 20 ms. It used to be 100 ms!

There is a Q&A video explaining how this works on the website.

Best regards
Darren

Razzkazz

Post by Razzkazz » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:16 pm

Hi Darren

thanks for the info, good to know. But is it always exactly 20ms, I guess not. When using the "WAIT" code I got varying results with the same value. I haven't noticed anything in the past, it's just there's a couple of quick stabs at the very beginning of where the change happens, so you can hear the catch up happening. I found a workaround, so not a major hassle :)

I had similar issue with M4L devices in the past sending messages at varying times, at the level of milliseconds.

Thanks
MBP M1 Max, MOTU Ultralite, Faderfox PC4, Akai LPD8, Push, Clyphx Pro
-----------------------------------------------
https://alangleeson.bandcamp.com/

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:28 am

Hi, no the delay is up to 20 milliseconds, it can be much quicker than that.

Cheers
D

bxn

Post by bxn » Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:56 pm

Hello I'm having a question about this 20 ms delay you are talking about.
Does anyone know where the figure come from (is there a video) ? As I understand it would be the delay between pressing an x-control e.g and beginning action execution and not the base ableton tick delay (which is 100ms as when calling ControlSurface.schedule_message from my understanding).
I'm working on a control surface script and would be interested in being able to timeout function calls in a speedier manner than relying on this 100ms tick.
So if stray found out something .. ^^

Bests,

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:58 pm

Don't think he's about to give away that secret I'm afraid...

Cheers
D

bxn

Post by bxn » Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:07 pm

haha I see ^^

bxn

Post by bxn » Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:17 pm

I found it ^^
It's the Live API python class Live.Base.Timer that allows reaching this number whereas the ControlSurface.schedule_message corresponds to the 100 ms delay.
Numbers are not exact but roughly :
- The ControlSurface.schedule_message seem quite stable at a 99-101 ms interval but can vary up to 80 to 120ms (on my system).
- The Live.Base.Timer clocks usually at 14 to 19ms averaging at 17ms on my system.

jbone1313

Post by jbone1313 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:38 pm

@bxn Thanks for coming back and letting us know. :)

It seems schedule_message takes a parameter, delay_in_ticks. Do you happen to know what period of time each tick represents? Are you saying each tick is 100ms?

Edit: After some light googling, it seems clock ticks, in computing, generally correspond to CPU cycles, which are very fast, much more than even 1ms. I am not positive that is correct, and I do not know if Ableton's API clock ticks are the same. If I had to wager, then I would bet they are the same.

bxn

Post by bxn » Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:45 pm

omg didn't see your answer I thought I had notifications enabled ..

tick is just a general programming word it doesn't mean it's connected to cpu cycles and indeed it's not !
Regarding schedule_message you're right the delay_in_ticks parameter corresponds to the tick interval until your function is going to be executed.
I don't have access to the api internals but it seems to be a stable 100 ms for the duration of the tick ! I don't know how they implemented this but it does not really matter and certainly they decided it should be 100 ms and that's all ^^. must be written in C++ somewhere I guess :)