Routing multiple external or plugin synth to external effects.

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
chriss2020

Routing multiple external or plugin synth to external effects.

Post by chriss2020 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:58 am

Hi,

I have multiple *external* hardware/plugin synths and a single *external* effects processor. I am setting up a different track for each synth. Ill describe the setup and the problem:

Synth-A is loaded as an external instrument in a midi track:
Midi To: Synth-A
Audio From: Ch 1 (Synth-A)

Synth-B is loaded as an external instrument in another midi track:
Midi To: Synth-B
Audio From: Ch 2 (Synth-B)

Here is where the problem comes in. I would like to send both tracks to an external effects processor (eventide eclipse). My audio interface (Focusrite Scarlett 6i6) output is routed to the effects processor ( I want to process software instruments/plugins as well). The processor outputs are routed to inputs on the audio interface.

Setup Synth-A:
Add external effect with:
Audio To: Effects
Audio From: Ch 3/4 (Effects)

Setup Track for Synth-B
Add external effect with:
Audio To: Effects
Audio From: Ch 3/4 (Effects)

I think the problem is that both tracks are receiving audio from 3/4 (the effects processor). So now, both tracks register audio from the effects even if only Track-A is playing.

For instance if Scene 1 Is only playing Track A, Track B will still receive sound from the FX, and they are both sending to the master, so its summed.

So the question is can I route multiple instruments to the same effects processor? E.g. I don't want Track A to receive the fx output from Track B...

Maybe I can do some more advanced setup with an Instrument Rack incorporating all the instruments that I will send to the FX unit. Ill have to dive into that more to see if it is a possible solution.

Angstrom

Re: Routing multiple external or plugin synth to external effects.

Post by Angstrom » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:13 am

This would traditionally be where the Eventide was on a send/return rather than inserts.

In live that's done by putting the Eventide on a return channel using the External Effect device.

If you need 100% wet effects remember to set the pre/post toggle for the send to pre. (you'll need to mute the source track for times you need that source to go 100% wet.

chriss2020

Re: Routing multiple external or plugin synth to external effects.

Post by chriss2020 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:26 pm

Thanks Angstrom!

The note on wet effects is super helpful.