Problem Komplete Kontrol s49 mk2 integration with Ableton Live Intro

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Mark Williams

Re: Problem Komplete Kontrol s49 mk2 integration with Ableton Live Intro

Post by Mark Williams » Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:09 pm

astralbody888 wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:27 am
it is easiest to just let the installers pick the default locations!
That is probably the worst thing to do, as not all developer installers install to one folder, so you then end up with VST's all over you drive, and Ableton will only address ONE VST folder, so you lose access to other VST's, Much more prudent & wise to take control of your VST install location yourself. Ensuring they all install into same folder foe example mine all go into C:\VST on my windows PC

(VST3 are different in that the generally all install by default into program files/common files/vst3)
Live 11, M1 Mac Mini, Push 2, Scarlett 18i20 & ADA8200, Softube Console 1 Mk2, Deepmind12, Hydrasynth, Cobalt 8M, Moog Subsequent 25, IK Uno Synth Pro, Plethora X3, Nord Drum 3P

kinkujin

Post by kinkujin » Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:22 pm

Hi all - new user and this is my first post. Hope it's good form to revive an old thread.

Anyhow, I'm experiencing similar problems to the OP. I've read this thread a few times now and tried some of the solutions, no luck for me yet. I'll get it and patience rules the day. I'd like to ask a couple of questions of you all:

1) When setting up Komplete with the NI Komplete s49 MK2 keyboard, do you always need to launch the Komplete app before starting Live? Or is that all done within Ableton? Or is it just a one-time launch necessary?

2) I'm assuming that my Komplete library is located in a different folder than my Ableton samples. I can get sound out of Ableton with included samples, but cannot launch the NI vst or au from within Live. How do I rectify this situation? Delete and reload NI?

Thanks for any and all help to the newbie here. Cheers!
-kinkujin
Macbook Pro 2012, Live 9, Push 1

kinkujin

Post by kinkujin » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:06 pm

No love for the newbie? :-))

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:59 am

kinkujin wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:22 pm
Hi all - new user and this is my first post. Hope it's good form to revive an old thread.

Anyhow, I'm experiencing similar problems to the OP. I've read this thread a few times now and tried some of the solutions, no luck for me yet. I'll get it and patience rules the day. I'd like to ask a couple of questions of you all:

1) When setting up Komplete with the NI Komplete s49 MK2 keyboard, do you always need to launch the Komplete app before starting Live? Or is that all done within Ableton? Or is it just a one-time launch necessary?

2) I'm assuming that my Komplete library is located in a different folder than my Ableton samples. I can get sound out of Ableton with included samples, but cannot launch the NI vst or au from within Live. How do I rectify this situation? Delete and reload NI?

Thanks for any and all help to the newbie here. Cheers!
-kinkujin
1. You only need the Komplete standalone launched when you first install everything or add new komplete instruments as you need to scan things into the database and test it all loads and works. Once that’s done you don’t need it open again to use love.

2. NI stuff is stored in many places which you can see in the standalone app in prefs > library.

To use it in KK you need to have the Komplete Kontrol VST installed and available as a plugin in Live. You then need to add it to a track as you would any VST then you should have access to control it and browse instruments from Komplete.

For the live integration to work (transport, mixer etc) you need to have it setup as a control surface device with the script that should have been installed. Check for a guide on how to setup everything

kinkujin

Post by kinkujin » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:36 pm

Jestermcgee - Thanks very much for responding - it's a big help!

I read your post several times to see what I was missing in my attempts at setup. This one statement is the one that still has me flummoxed:

To use it in KK you need to have the Komplete Kontrol VST installed and available as a plugin in Live. You then need to add it to a track as you would any VST then you should have access to control it and browse instruments from Komplete.

How and where do I verify this?

Another note: I checked my installation (after rereading the instructions from Ableton site) and found that there is mention of 64 bit installation. I noted that my installation is 32bit. Could this be the issue? I will download the 64bit installation and check that.

Again, I appreciate you stepping up to help out.
-kinkujin

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:11 pm

Ah, yes that’s an issue.

You need Live 64bit as Komplete Kontrol is only 64bit as most stuff these days.

Once installed you need to confirm your VST custom path is set to the correct location in Preferences.