A question about Filter Delay

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Christian_R

A question about Filter Delay

Post by Christian_R » Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:43 pm

Hi,

I have a little question about Filter Delay: Is it possible to make the Filter Delay affect a just couple of notes in the beginning of a MIDI clip, but not the rest?

I have a 8 bar melody where I use the Filter Delay, but I only want the first 2 bars to be affected. And I want those 2 bars to be delayed over the remaining 6 bars. Because now every note gets delayed unless I turn down the volume, but then I also turn down the effect itself.

I know I can make the delayed part as a separate track, but I was hoping there was an easier way to do it :)

I hope somebody can help me!

TLW

Re: A question about Filter Delay

Post by TLW » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:35 pm

Here's one way.

Create your audio track and put utility and filter delay on it, in that order. Group them to form a rack.

Set the filter delay's wet/dry setting to fully wet.

In the same rack create a new chain with no processing - that's your unaffected dry signal.

Now select the relevant audio clip and automate utility's gain so it's up at the point you want to send audio into the filter delay and fully down the rest of the time.

Adjust the delay's feedback etc. to taste.
Live 10 Suite, 2020 27" iMac, 3.6 GHz i9, MacOS Catalina, RME UFX, assorted synths, guitars and stuff.

Christian_R

Re: A question about Filter Delay

Post by Christian_R » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:24 am

Thanks a lot!

I will try that :)