Need advice for best approach to creating my own acoustic drum loops for solo gig backing

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
entrainmentmachine

Need advice for best approach to creating my own acoustic drum loops for solo gig backing

Post by entrainmentmachine » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:17 am

This is my first post on the forums.

One of my main uses for Ableton Live 10 is to use on a laptop to provide flexible backing tracks for solo gigs where I am playing guitar and singing.
I mostly want to play along to drum loops; each song will have several beat variations (A section, B section etc).

I play drums and have a good recording rig, mics, pres, and good plugins using Cubase. Some of the songs I want to prep are covers so my plan is to play along to the entire song while recording my drums to 6 tracks. Since I am playing along to the songs, it will not be to a click or synced to the grid. Then I will mix down the drums to a stereo two channel WAV file. From this I will select the "sections" out of the entire song, consisting of 2 bars, 4 bars, whatever that will become "Verse clip", "Chorus clip".

I have two questions:

1. What do you guys think is the best way to make these into clips for Ableton to ensure seamless loops?

A: Edit out the 2 bar or 4 bar sections in Cubase and import them into Ableton as you would a loop from a loop library?

B: Bring the entire song track into Ableton and cut out the clip loops in Ableton?

2. I am going to try and take the "one big Live Set" approach for gigs to avoid having to open up a Set for each song.
My 2nd question regards clip metadata. I read somewhere that each clip can specify its own tempo and time signature. It there a way in Session view, where lets say the first song's clips are 120bpm 4/4, then after a couple of slots I have a cluster of clips that are 200 bpm 3/4 in their metadata. Will Ableton read the metadata of the 2nd cluster of clips and change its global tempo and global time signature? Or will I have to manually change the global tempo and time signature for each song that I want to play i.e. skip to in the Set?

I know these are basic questions - thank you so much for your experience and advice!

fishmonkey

Re: Need advice for best approach to creating my own acoustic drum loops for solo gig backing

Post by fishmonkey » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:20 am

hey there, this answers your tempo changes in Session View question:

https://sonicbloom.net/en/ableton-live- ... sion-view/

jlgrimes

Re: Need advice for best approach to creating my own acoustic drum loops for solo gig backing

Post by jlgrimes » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:59 pm

entrainmentmachine wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:17 am
This is my first post on the forums.

One of my main uses for Ableton Live 10 is to use on a laptop to provide flexible backing tracks for solo gigs where I am playing guitar and singing.
I mostly want to play along to drum loops; each song will have several beat variations (A section, B section etc).

I play drums and have a good recording rig, mics, pres, and good plugins using Cubase. Some of the songs I want to prep are covers so my plan is to play along to the entire song while recording my drums to 6 tracks. Since I am playing along to the songs, it will not be to a click or synced to the grid. Then I will mix down the drums to a stereo two channel WAV file. From this I will select the "sections" out of the entire song, consisting of 2 bars, 4 bars, whatever that will become "Verse clip", "Chorus clip".

I have two questions:

1. What do you guys think is the best way to make these into clips for Ableton to ensure seamless loops?

A: Edit out the 2 bar or 4 bar sections in Cubase and import them into Ableton as you would a loop from a loop library?

B: Bring the entire song track into Ableton and cut out the clip loops in Ableton?

2. I am going to try and take the "one big Live Set" approach for gigs to avoid having to open up a Set for each song.
My 2nd question regards clip metadata. I read somewhere that each clip can specify its own tempo and time signature. It there a way in Session view, where lets say the first song's clips are 120bpm 4/4, then after a couple of slots I have a cluster of clips that are 200 bpm 3/4 in their metadata. Will Ableton read the metadata of the 2nd cluster of clips and change its global tempo and global time signature? Or will I have to manually change the global tempo and time signature for each song that I want to play i.e. skip to in the Set?

I know these are basic questions - thank you so much for your experience and advice!
I'm interested as well as I'm starting to do more performances without a drummer.