Basic question: export midi to audio

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
idolevy

Basic question: export midi to audio

Post by idolevy » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:53 pm

Hi there,
I'm a beginner so I guess it's a very basic one.
I created a MIDI track, with sound "grand piano", for example.
I want to export it as wav/mp3 audio, so I can listen to it anywhere.
Problem is, the exported audio file exists, but with no sound in it.
My hardware setup is desktop (win 10) with Focusrite 2i4 connected.
Can you show me step by step how can I do it?
Thanks in advanced

blof_eld

Re: Basic question: export midi to audio

Post by blof_eld » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:41 am

Right click on the MIDI track and choose "freeze track".

Then exporting should include those frozen tracks.

idolevy

Post by idolevy » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:45 am

Hi,
Problem is - using this method, generated audio file is empty (with correct length, but with no sound)

Nokatus

Post by Nokatus » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:24 am

What instrument (software or hardware) is providing the Grand Piano sound? In other words, can you describe how have you selected the sound, and where do you literally see the text "grand piano" appearing :) ? The more specific you are in describing this, the more helpful. This might help to piece together this puzzle, so to speak, heh.

idolevy

Post by idolevy » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:50 pm

Hi,
The instrument is software only.
I just dragged the "grand piano" to the MIDI track, played some tones, and tried to export to audio. That's all. And the exported audio file has the correct length, but I hear no sound played in it.
For now, I uploaded the MIDI tracks to a "midi to mp3" website, and produced it. But apparently this is not the right way of doing it :)

Nokatus

Post by Nokatus » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:27 pm

Can you post a screenshot of the Live mixer with the channel showing (that has the grand piano on it)?

idolevy

Post by idolevy » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:30 pm

Sure.
Ido

Nokatus

Post by Nokatus » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:01 pm

Okay, here's what's happening:

You have the instrument loaded fine (in this case, the Simpler device contained in the "Grand Piano" instrument rack preset), and you have a MIDI clip in the session view, containing note events, and the clip is controlling that instrument correctly.

However, you don't currently have anything playing in your project. That means, you don't have anything playing in the arrangement view, and the play button of the existing clip doesn't seem to be activated in the session view. If it was, the output of that clip (controlling said instrument) would be audibly rendered when you chose to export the project, no matter whether you have anything placed in the arrangement or not.

If your intention is to export some piano parts, and eventually a multitrack song using such parts, and so on, I would suggest (for the most predictable results) placing the clips you wish to render into the arrangement view and listening through them there, arranging them to your liking, and then exporting them :), so you will be getting exactly the output you have arranged there. And of course, the Live manual is your friend, regarding the basic operation of the Arrangement and Session views!