Live 5, first use, some questions before posting to beta...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mikemc

Live 5, first use, some questions before posting to beta...

Post by mikemc » Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:46 am

I did a search on the beta boards for what I thought would correspond to these issues (they are minor) and didn't get anything, but thought I'd ask.

So I install 5.b016 and I start in: ok, I will not read a bit of the manual and start messing around. I load in some of my Live 4 sets, things work pretty well. Very well, actually, when a few of the more loaded up ones start to hit higher CPU levels.

I load in one that is nothing but midi clips loaded into scenes in session view. I launch one of the scenes and one of the lines is missing... kinda odd, freeware synth plugin as the instrument. I unload and reload the plug, works ok. Anyone have this problem?

Then I start to use the new effects. There are some interruptions because my jaw keeps dropping, hitting the spacebar (user error).

Take a single bass drum hit audio clip from the included samples. I drop suppatrigga directly into the track's effects, and the run the bass drum through three separate sends to beat repeat, the flanger and a freeware Audio to MIDI converter called "Super Eel". Set the MIDI inputs on the VSTi tracks to the output from the Audio to MIDI. Things are all triggering from the bass note, this is practically bliss. I feed some of this output back into the audio to midi, keeping the levels low, nothing blows up. It's monophonic conversion, so it's kind of a race as to what actually gets converted.

Converted MIDI output going to several tracks running some freeware synths and Operator. I cake on some effects to these tracks, including scales, chords. I run a little bit of these back through the Audio to MIDI.

On one track I add the Arpeggiator. The Arp is getting input, but seems to generate notes only occasionally and at a much lower level- has anyone had this problem? I will need to use it more directly, playing notes from the kybd.

Put EQ four in front of the audio-to-midi, notch out and boost some of the tones. Fiddle with some of the controls on the audio-to-midi-- getting meandering chromatic chords and wild blips, all from a single bass drum note. :) kerrayyzeee.
UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.

conny

Post by conny » Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:46 am

Thanks a lot for the Eell tip :lol:
I downloaded promptly and now I have a drum clip routed to Eell and let the midi play an Operator piano type sound, and it's instant jazz!
A thanks for the routing tips - this will have me going the rest of the day.

// C
Last edited by conny on Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PC Laptop Acer, XP Home SP2, build in crappy sound card.
Bleeps and Blops!
http://bluemoose.greatnow.com/

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:54 pm

conny wrote:Thanks a lot for the Eal tip :lol:
I downloaded promptly and now I have a drum clip routed to Eal and let the midi play an Operator piano type sound, and it's instant jazz!
A thanks for the routing tips - this will have me going the rest of the day.

// C
:) cool.. hey, if you get a chance, do you have a way to use Bidule to convert pitchbend MIDI signals into either CC or Note?

also, an obvious thing that I did not try but which will likely yield good results is to route the bass drum to a resonator prior to super eel, to give a little more tonality for SuperEel to pick up on.
UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.

conny

Post by conny » Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:08 pm

mikemc wrote: :) cool.. hey, if you get a chance, do you have a way to use Bidule to convert pitchbend MIDI signals into either CC or Note?
Can't say for sure at this very minute, but my guess is that this is part of the core Bidule modules.
I will (maybe) check it out while the potatoes are boiling.

// C
Bleeps and Blops!

conny

Post by conny » Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:17 pm

Yes, you could use the pitchbend extractor in Bidule and (via a parameter modulator) set the values of a CC Creator.
No problem.

// C
Bleeps and Blops!