Joysticks??

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
The_Subject

Joysticks??

Post by The_Subject » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:52 pm

Anyone hooked a joystick up to ableton?

Thought it could be a fun hands on addition to my set up, going for a bit of an Author & Punisher vibe (except I'm not that genius, so joystick'll have to do), but so far I can only find Joy2Key which equate a direction for a single key, meaning slight tilt or full tilt doesn't matter you "hit" the key and get the result in its fullest extent.

I've found other programs like Mjoy that claims to give CC messages and within its own program I can link it to Loop BE Midi, but it doesn't seem to register in Ableton at all. I'm ideally after an x and y axis control, plus buttons.

Anyone had any luck with this? What do you use? Hows it working?

Thanks in advance

chapelier fou

Re: Joysticks??

Post by chapelier fou » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:02 pm

I've been using a joystick on stage for 10 years now. I think it's the best controller possible. So expressive, so precise, so fun, and so spectacular. Honestly I don't get why it's not popular. I'm using my own Max/MSP devices so I can't say much about the softs you're referring to. It depends on what you have in mind.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

The_Subject

Post by The_Subject » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:49 pm

Hey thanks for getting back to me chapelier fou!

Unfortunately my skills with max are pretty non-existent, so writing my own devices I believe is not going to be the solution. The programs I'm refering to are just wahtever pops up on google really - theres more options, but I'm not a big fan of just downloading a ton of random software from various free sources, I've screwed a few too many computers doing that recklessly, so would like recommendations before downloading more software, if anyone has them?

I'd like an x-y pad type interface where the joystick defaults at the middle and I can tilt forward/backward on one axis and side-to-side on the other, plus the buttons as assignable midi buttons. Straight forward enough I would have thought, but haven't had any luck yet. Is that how you use it? That's just the first way that came to mind really....

frabo

Post by frabo » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:07 pm

I use Controllermate -> https://www.orderedbytes.com

more easy than max, with lots of possibilitys, even with/for midi

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:31 pm

I always fancied setting up on stage with a bunch of stuff like this:

It's a USB toy train controller.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Excalibur-Game ... B00008VIR8

frabo

Post by frabo » Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:13 pm

:o ha that is funny,
I guess, it will recognised by controllermate, you can program midi trigger on each button and CC's for fader
than, the fun starts

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:13 pm

frabo wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:13 pm
:o ha that is funny,
I guess, it will recognised by controllermate, you can program midi trigger on each button and CC's for fader
than, the fun starts
Imagine bringing in your builds with that....
and then use this for your drops :lol:

I totally want to do this now

The_Subject

Post by The_Subject » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:53 pm

Well this is kinda what I'm going for...but with a pc not mac I feel no closer to it..... :(