Mixer/interface combo?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
AlienableTone

Mixer/interface combo?

Post by AlienableTone » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:51 am

Anyone using a mixer/audio interface combo? I'm currently using the Roland MX-1 as my mixer and audio interface with Live 10. I have quite a lot of hardware (including some boutiques) and right now this is proving to be a good setup (although I recently started having latency issues for no reason).

But I'm quickly going to be running out of inputs and will need to change my setup. I have my eyes on the Tascam Model 24 but can't find any info on how good it is as an interface, especially when it comes to handling multiple plugins in Live 10. I'm afraid of running into latency issues... I'm close to 50/50 when it comes to hardware vs. VST so I'm looking for a setup that will handle both, but would need to also be able to record multitrack into Ableton.

So... is anyone using a similar setup? And if yes, how are things when working in the box? Curious to hear from folks using analog mixers as their main audio interface.

Thanks!
AT

miyaru

Re: Mixer/interface combo?

Post by miyaru » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:58 am

Have you looked at: https://www.thomann.de/nl/zoom_livetrak_l_20.htm

It has 20 inputs, compressors on the first 16 ones, 6 monitormixes and headphone outputs, records simultanious to sd and your DAW of choice - so there is always a backup.

I find it hard to believe what it does for the money.........
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason 12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :mrgreen:

AlienableTone

Post by AlienableTone » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:12 pm

Yeah I saw the L-20. Super powerful multitrack recorder but it doesn’t seem to have an audio interface built-in, unless I’m mistaken?

I think something like the Tascam is as close as it gets. The Signature 22 MKT was on my radar but it doesn’t have an internal recorder.

I guess if I rephrased my question a bit I’d ask: how good are mixer/interface combos (mixerface?) at dealing with in the box production when using CPU intensive plugins? I’m concerned about latency as the built-in audio interfaces in these mixers probably aren’t as good as UA or Focusrite products...

miyaru

Post by miyaru » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:43 pm

Yes, it has an audiointerface build in. :D 22 in 4 out....... over usb2.
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason 12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,

miyaru

Post by miyaru » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:45 pm

The Zoom L20 should handle 64 samples buffersize at 48Khz. This is what I've been told on a forum from Steinberg.
Greetings from Miyaru.

bbz12

Post by bbz12 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:07 pm

HI, I just found this subject, I'm debating about getting the MX1. Is it true that you can only use Aira on the USB ports?

I've also been thinking about Tascam - Zoom, but the performance in the MX1 seems better.

Thanks,

AlienableTone

Post by AlienableTone » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:10 pm

AIRA and the Boutique line too. So the TB-03c JU-06, etc.

I’m wondering if potentially the Jupiter X and XM could work but no idea...

bbz12

Post by bbz12 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:12 pm

Thanks a lot.

And does it give bus power to the boutiques?

AlienableTone

Post by AlienableTone » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:27 pm

It does! But you’ll need a few extra cables, check this 4 minutes vid

https://youtu.be/gPoZuCcC_2s

You can by the USB adaptors on ebay or amazon for cheap. Worked perfectly for me, I had a JX-03, JU-06 and TB-03 as well as the TR-8 and it worked fine with just a few extra cables

bbz12

Post by bbz12 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:52 pm

Thanks a lot!!!

I'm preparing a live performance with Ableton, using mostly audio tracks in session mode. I have the tb03, Elektron analog 4 and a couple of synths.

I'm controlling Ableton with Akai Force and a Launchpad. I need a mixer, but also want to be able to control faders and would love to use external effects, which I'm seeing are included in the MX 1.

With all of this, it seems the MX1 is the way to go. What I don't understand is if the MX1 has all of these advantages why isn't it more widely used.

am I missing something?

Best,

AlienableTone

Post by AlienableTone » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:03 pm

It’s just limited for those not into the recent Roland gear... Analog inputs are limited so folks prefer stuff like the Soundcraft Signature MTK series.

I absolutely loved my MX-1 but had to sell it as I was short on inputs. If they come out with a new version with more inputs, I’ll buy it right away. The effects are dope, I miss the sidechain so much!!

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:19 am

AlienableTone wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:51 am
Anyone using a mixer/audio interface combo? I'm currently using the Roland MX-1 as my mixer and audio interface with Live 10. I have quite a lot of hardware (including some boutiques) and right now this is proving to be a good setup (although I recently started having latency issues for no reason).

But I'm quickly going to be running out of inputs and will need to change my setup. I have my eyes on the Tascam Model 24 but can't find any info on how good it is as an interface, especially when it comes to handling multiple plugins in Live 10. I'm afraid of running into latency issues... I'm close to 50/50 when it comes to hardware vs. VST so I'm looking for a setup that will handle both, but would need to also be able to record multitrack into Ableton.

So... is anyone using a similar setup? And if yes, how are things when working in the box? Curious to hear from folks using analog mixers as their main audio interface.

Thanks!
AT
How many inputs you need?

Does it need to be a mixer (they come in handy if you plan on doing Live shows with other instrumentalists)?

I have a huge sound craft analog mixer I no longer use 32 inputs.

I prefer the streamlined audio interfaces now. (Less space, noise, points of failure, less wiring).

Most bigger interfaces have adat i/o where you can add 8 more i/o channels giving you 16 channels.

Some like RME offer a ridiculous amount of i/o.

Others like UAD Apollo allow you to buy multiple interfaces and use them as one (plus add adat expansion modules like the Behringer ada8200)..

Just offering this advice in case you wasn't aware as you can have huge i/o setups without a mixer where you can have all of your external synths always connected.

Mixers help definitely though when performing live though as it is quicker to adjust levels and use outboard effects and what not. That said you can still use outboard effects with audio interface (workflow might not be as flexible as mixer though)

TLW

Post by TLW » Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:54 am

Just a thought...

RME’s interfaces can be used as a stand-alone digital mixer with reverb, delay and per channel eq and dynamics built in and are controllable from a computer or iPad
Live 10 Suite, 2020 27" iMac, 3.6 GHz i9, MacOS Catalina, RME UFX, assorted synths, guitars and stuff.

mledajaks

Post by mledajaks » Thu May 14, 2020 3:00 am

I love my Model 24 and am just starting with Ableton Live 10 Lite because it came with my Arturia Keylab 61. I have resisted DAW for a long time and am beginning to realize why. I am running into a major problem with what I am now thinking is a latency issue between Ableton and the Model 24.
I have a brand new laptop and am using the Model 24 as an interface as advertised. I am assuming that I should have no problems. My troubleshooting is leading me top believe that the issue stems somewhere between the laptop/Ableton and the Model 24. I have not been able to find any information in any of my searches so far. So if anyone is experiencing bad clicking sounds and/or dropped connectivity, or any kind of interference and has a similar setup please respond. I would like to embrace DAW but with these kind of issues, it makes it very hard to consider fully migrating.

djmattclarke

Post by djmattclarke » Thu May 28, 2020 9:07 pm

I would really like to hear an update from the people in this thread. I'm considering a Soundcraft MTK vs a Tascam Model 16, and while I saw the Zoom mentioned I just dont trust it for some reason. Any other quality mixer suggestions for under $1000, multitracking, would be appreciated.