Bounce midi to audio for Moog Sub37

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
waterfordogs

Bounce midi to audio for Moog Sub37

Post by waterfordogs » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:45 am

Hi

I'm totally confused :(

I have a Moog Subsequent 37 and all I am trying to do is bounce the midi which I've recorded from the synth down to audio so that I can create a second midi track....

How do I do it? Tried finding videos online but no one seems to show how to do this! I'm clearly missing something very simple (I guess)

Can anyone help?

Kind Regards

Richard

Da hand

Re: Bounce midi to audio for Moog Sub37

Post by Da hand » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:04 am

Hi! When you say "the midi" is that just the midi notes (plus perhaps some other midi messages) that you have recorded into Live while playing the Moog?

If all you have are the MIDI notes / clips, then they contain no audio. The MIDI clips only contain instructions of notes to play, what parameters to change, etc. You need to have them play back an instrument (either your Moog or an instrument in Live) in order to get some audio.

blof_eld

Post by blof_eld » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:41 am

You insert an "External Instrument" device onto the MIDI track, then in that device choose the audio input that the Moog is connected to.

Then you can right-click on the track and choose "Freeze track". That will record the audio from the Moog into Ableton.

I usually create a new audio track and copy the frozen clips over to that, then I can keep both the audio and the midi notes, in case I want to unfreeze the midi track and edit them later.

TLW

Post by TLW » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:35 pm

An alternative to using an external instrument plugin is a MIDI track to send MIDI to the synth and receive MIDI from it plus an audio track with its input set to whatever audio interface input the Moog (in this case) is connected to. Both approaches have their merits and personal work-flow preference plays a part in deciding which way to go as well.

Either way, as already said MIDI is not audio and to record the audio means playing the MIDI back through the Moog and recording the Moog’s audio output to an audio track.
Live 10 Suite, 2020 27" iMac, 3.6 GHz i9, MacOS Catalina, RME UFX, assorted synths, guitars and stuff.