How do I map "Session Record" button to ... well, anything

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ikies

How do I map "Session Record" button to ... well, anything

Post by ikies » Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:46 pm

Every key I've tried to map it to only allows me to record while the pad/button is completely pressed, when I lift my finger off it stops recording. Same thing happens when I try to map to key. Help! :(

jestermgee

Re: How do I map "Session Record" button to ... well, anything

Post by jestermgee » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:13 am

The reason it only works while the button (or midi key) is held is because the session record will respond to activate when it receives the button/note ON command and deactivate when it receives the OFF command. A midi key is always momentary since when you lift your finger off it sends the note off command.

A button can be momentary or toggle depending on the controller so what you are seeing is a momentary button (like a drum pad) so if you want a toggle command you would need to program that button on your controller (if at all possible) to be a toggle button so it will send ON on the first press and OFF on the second.

The only further options would be either something like Bomes Midi Translator which can be used to intercept commands, change them (with rules) and send the desired command or maybe something from M4L, otherwise a keyboard hotkey should be able to do the trick.