Pitch Bend Range?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
JJ_Beats

Pitch Bend Range?

Post by JJ_Beats » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:22 am

Hey guys first post here.

I'm very frustrated right now! I'm trying to build a simple electronic sounding beat drop, where my main synth and piano begin to raise pitch to an octave higher as the beat goes from 1/8 to 1/16 to 1/32. Very simple stuff like all electronic music has the pitch bend.

I'm using Ableton 10 Live INTRO

The problem is that I can't get the pitch to bend enough! So I'm using a stock sound Instruments/Instrument Rack/Snyth Keys/Mode Amp Sine Bleep. I love that sound after I did a little tweaking. So If I go into the envelopes and choose midi control and pitch bend, it will only let me raise the value to 8191, which is believe is 5 semitones but I'm not sure. Problem is I need that to raise up 16 semitones (or one octave) (I think 16 semitones = 1 octave) over the course of my drum buildup. All the tutorials I see show the person going converting the midi to sampler, then changing the pitch bend range from the standard 5 semitones. I don't believe I have sampler. I also don't have any other control over the midi other than the 6 knobs they give me to adjust the sound.

The other way I thought of is going into my Midi effects and automating the pitch. The problem with that is it doesn't smoothly ramp up the pitch, it only raises 1 semitone at a time which is choppy.

The last way I tried was exporting my midi clip and then importing that WAV into simpler, and changing the pitch there. While that gives me the proper pitch ramp up, it warps the time so my synth is no longer on beat.

Please help I have no idea how to do this! Is it even possible in Live Intro? It has to be it's so seemingly simple!

justanametouse

Re: Pitch Bend Range?

Post by justanametouse » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:50 pm

Which instrument is being used in that rack? I'm assuming Simpler. If so, see my reply at the bottom of this post:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=232649&p=1750427&hi ... d#p1750427

TLW

Post by TLW » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:27 pm

JJ_Beats wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:22 am
The problem is that I can't get the pitch to bend enough! So I'm using a stock sound Instruments/Instrument Rack/Snyth Keys/Mode Amp Sine Bleep. I love that sound after I did a little tweaking. So If I go into the envelopes and choose midi control and pitch bend, it will only let me raise the value to 8191, which is believe is 5 semitones but I'm not sure. Problem is I need that to raise up 16 semitones (or one octave) (I think 16 semitones = 1 octave)
An octave is 12 semitones. Two octaves are 23 semitones etc.

Pitch bend range in general depends on how the synth receiving pitch bend is set to respond to it, and is usually set for each synth patch/program. Justanametouse has explained how Simpler is limited in pitch bend response and how that can be worked round. Other synths will have their own settings.
Live 10 Suite, 2020 27" iMac, 3.6 GHz i9, MacOS Catalina, RME UFX, assorted synths, guitars and stuff.

justanametouse

Post by justanametouse » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:59 pm

TLW wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:27 pm

An octave is 12 semitones. Two octaves are 23 semitones etc.

Pitch bend range in general depends on how the synth receiving pitch bend is set to respond to it, and is usually set for each synth patch/program. Justanametouse has explained how Simpler is limited in pitch bend response and how that can be worked round. Other synths will have their own settings.
Thanks - wanted to mention the semitones error and forgot.

To the OP - think of a semitone as a single key on a piano: 7 white keys (A, B, C, D, E, F, and G notes) and 5 black keys per octave (sharps/flats, depending on the key) = 12 total. So, just keep adding 12 on for each octave.

JJ_Beats

Post by JJ_Beats » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:46 pm

justanametouse wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:50 pm
Which instrument is being used in that rack?
JJ_Beats wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:22 am
So I'm using a stock sound Instruments/Instrument Rack/Snyth Keys/Mode Amp Sine Bleep.
That's the problem. Everyone knows how to do with with simpler, which I'm not using. If I'm not using simpler, is there just no hope? Thanks for the info on octaves/semitones

justanametouse

Post by justanametouse » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:13 pm

JJ_Beats wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:46 pm
That's the problem. Everyone knows how to do with with simpler, which I'm not using. If I'm not using simpler, is there just no hope? Thanks for the info on octaves/semitones
Which instrument are you using? I've removed all of the factory presets from Ableton, so I'm not sure which one is in the Instrument Rack preset you've chosen. If you're using Intro with no add-ons, it's either Simpler or Impulse.

chrk

Post by chrk » Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:41 am

justanametouse wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:13 pm
Which instrument are you using? I've removed all of the factory presets from Ableton, so I'm not sure which one is in the Instrument Rack preset you've chosen. If you're using Intro with no add-ons, it's either Simpler or Impulse.
I looked it up, it's Operator.
JJ_Beats wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:46 pm
If I'm not using simpler, is there just no hope?
Well, Operator has the pitch bend range editable, but probably not for you.

As far as I know Intro will not let you enter and edit the devices contained in an Instrument rack as soon as they contain any Ableton device not licensed.

JJ_Beats

Post by JJ_Beats » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:30 am

Sorry man I finally got what you meant but was at work all day :x . I also found a work around after this post. I just resampled it and then I was able to automate the transposition. It appears I cannot do the editing in my version; Oh well someday I can get the full version!

justanametouse

Post by justanametouse » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:57 pm

JJ_Beats wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:30 am
Sorry man I finally got what you meant but was at work all day :x . I also found a work around after this post. I just resampled it and then I was able to automate the transposition. It appears I cannot do the editing in my version; Oh well someday I can get the full version!
Glad to hear it! Sorry for assuming it was either Simpler or Impulse. I wasn't aware that Intro provides presets with the non-Intro instruments.

chrk

Post by chrk » Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:23 pm

justanametouse wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:57 pm
I wasn't aware that Intro provides presets with the non-Intro instruments.
All of Live basic core instruments and effects are installed with Intro, and on the License/Maintainance preferences tab you can (or at least could when I used it) unlock a demo mode where you can access them all, but not save sets.

While you don't get the presets for all the instruments with Intro, there's a good amount in the Instrument Rack and Drum Racks categories that use those instruments, but you won't get past the macros panel.

[added]
Keep in mind, Lite and Intro versions are marketing instruments. They WANT you to upgrade.

justanametouse

Post by justanametouse » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:20 pm

chrk wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:23 pm
justanametouse wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:57 pm
I wasn't aware that Intro provides presets with the non-Intro instruments.
All of Live basic core instruments and effects are installed with Intro, and on the License/Maintainance preferences tab you can (or at least could when I used it) unlock a demo mode where you can access them all, but not save sets.

While you don't get the presets for all the instruments with Intro, there's a good amount in the Instrument Rack and Drum Racks categories that use those instruments, but you won't get past the macros panel.

[added]
Keep in mind, Lite and Intro versions are marketing instruments. They WANT you to upgrade.
Interesting. Had no idea about that, but it makes good sense on Ableton's part. I went straight to Suite when I migrated from LPX, so I never bothered with the Intro/Lite versions and was just going by the product comparison pages. Much appreciated info!