Programing chords from a bass signal

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
MyKingAndI

Programing chords from a bass signal

Post by MyKingAndI » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:42 am

I'm performing with guitar via Midiguiar to Ableton Live 9.

Today I'm sending a bass signal from the lower guitar strings that trigger some bass synths.
I don't "arrange" my songs (in time line) to follow the exact arrangement, this is to be free to chose to repeat a part when I want to. I trigger everything live, only adding or taking away wich instruments to allow in the mix. The chord instruments will often be 2 to 4 different software keyboard sounds, some with arpeggiator patterns.

My problem is that I loose some freedom playing my guitar with this setting, and if possible I want to move the keys to the bass line signal.

Is there any way to tell Live9 what key the song is in, and from that I program a chord setting so each chord are triggered from the bass signal? I understand that I loose some flexibility here, but I guess I have to live with that. Even if I have to use fixed arrangements, it would be ok. I just want to avoid using pre recorded tracks.

I know I could trigger chords from all the strings at the guitar, but I would like to have the rest of the strings at the guitar free to play finger play or small fills, even use it together with strings, nice effect.

Anyone with ideas on how this will be, and some info if there are anyone who has a video explaining how to do it?

Thanks.

gbert

Re: Programing chords from a bass signal

Post by gbert » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:22 am

If you can send the bass strings to a separate midi track, and are only playing one note at a time on those strings to trigger chords, then you should be able to get something workable by using a couple of midi effects. Create a midi track that contains only the bass strings and drop the chord effect followed by the scale effect. In the chord effect set it up as a major chord. I think there is a preset for this. Otherwise set it up as shift 1 being +4 semitones and shift 2 being +7 semitones. Then on the scale effect select a preset for whatever mode you desire, and then set the base of the key inside the Scale effect. For example, if you want D major select the major or Ionian preset (can’t recall what it’s called exactly). Then set the base as D inside the Scale effect.

The chord effect adds additional notes to make a chord. I recommend always using the major chord preset. This is cleaned up to fit the key, and is converted to the appropriate chord based on the root note being played. That is, it will be converted to major/minor/diminished/etc by the simple note mapping imposed by the Scale effect.