Push 2 + Komplete Kontrol

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Carl Lofgren

Push 2 + Komplete Kontrol

Post by Carl Lofgren » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:02 pm

Hi guys - it was ages ago since I posted anything in this forum so my apologies if this has been discussed to death.

Got myself a Push 2 - love it!
Got myself a bunch of Komplete Kontrol keyboards - love 'em!

Is there any way to make Push 2 and the Komplete Kontrol software, a sexy, happy married couple?

:D

/C
PLUGHUGGER - deep music tech review blog - www.plughugger.com

jestermgee

Re: Push 2 + Komplete Kontrol

Post by jestermgee » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:44 pm

Such as?

You cannot browse/load NKS using Push (wish you could) and to access the mapped parameters of a VST you need to map them with the Configure section of the VST wrapper to use with Push but they do work well together for their own purposes.

I personally use Push to do most of the Live stuff and of course my drum kits since it is far better than a keyboard to track drum parts.

I then use the keyboard to search for and design sounds and play melodies as well as automate controls. They work well that way.

What doesn't work well tho is using multiple KK keyboards within Live. If you connect more than 1 at a time then they stop working which really sux since I have a beta test A series I would like to use but it's just a dust collector since I much prefer my older MK1 keyboard (the tiny single screen on the A series sux)

It is also possible to rout the smart play features out of KK into Live and use it to control live instruments:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZ8Xmjt16VE

And if you want to have "blue hand" control over live devices then this is also possible using a second control script to auto map when you switch to MIDI mode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzdd_gSlZYk

Carl Lofgren

Post by Carl Lofgren » Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:08 am

jestermgee wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:44 pm
You cannot browse/load NKS using Push (wish you could) and to access the mapped parameters of a VST you need to map them with the Configure section of the VST wrapper to use with Push but they do work well together for their own purposes.

I personally use Push to do most of the Live stuff and of course my drum kits since it is far better than a keyboard to track drum parts.

I then use the keyboard to search for and design sounds and play melodies as well as automate controls. They work well that way.
You pretty much explained every possible scenario, so thank you for a great answer! Much appreciated.

Yes. Browse/load NKS while using Push was what I was after. But I can live without that functionality. Exactly how do you work? You first start with some placeholder sounds when making your track and after that is done, you start to change and work on the sounds with KK?

/C
PLUGHUGGER - deep music tech review blog - www.plughugger.com

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:20 am

Really depends on what I am working on but typically if I am starting with a blank slate and normally some idea of a tune I have or want to emulate i'll load Live which has just a KK track on it which I use to find the first sound I am after then if I need drums I select a pre-designed kit.

Then I will normally play until I find the melody I want, capture to a clip, keep capturing clips or making variations, adding more instruments (just normally duplicate the KK track and find a new instrument.

When I switch to a drum track with a rack (I use mostly racks) I switch over to push then when I have enough basic "blocks" designed that resemble the outline of a song I record a basic performance to arrangement and then start working in there. Session view still gets used to copy ideas into to make changes and to "backup" clips in arrangement as I go and try new things but from there it's kind of a mixed bag as to how it goes.

That's the way I have conditioned myself to work. Not fussed if I cannot browse or access everything from a single controller, I have enough that I can find what I need somewhere or another and get on with getting the idea out of my head and on paper.