Is there a way to drag start and end points through a clip length?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
patrick.olson86

Is there a way to drag start and end points through a clip length?

Post by patrick.olson86 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:20 pm

I'm not really sure how to ask this question, so I'm really going to do my best to describe what I want to do here. I'm using the latest version of Live 9 FYI. Also, I apologize if this has been asked before. I couldn't find anything via searches and I didn't really know how to phrase the question.

Let's say I'm in arrangement view and I have a bunch of synth/reese bass one shot audio clips on a track. They're varying length and have different textures throughout them. Now I start chopping up these one shots, adding filters and effect envelopes to create a bassline. Now I have a bass loop going on an audio track. I layer this bassline by adding a MIDI track with another synth bass.

Now I have an audio bass track and a MIDI bass track which are both playing the same notes but are different bass patches layered on top of each other. Sometimes this works with the new MIDI bass track, sometimes not. But, like I said, the audio bass chops have different textures depending upon the start/end time of the chop within that note. Here's where my question is. Can I easily adjust the start/end time with some click and drag scrub action? So, let's say the chop is a 16th note. The full audio file in the clip view is a 1 bar whole note. My question is that in the audio clip view of the chop, can I easily just scrub the start end of the 16th note we're hearing (in the arrangement) through the entire 1 bar note (of the whole sample within clip view)?

I hope this makes sense. I feel like I've done this before, but maybe on accident. I can't seem to figure out a workaround for this issue other than slowly shortening the start time, then backing up the end time in bits and pieces. I feel like there has to be an easier way to scrub through this.