Send MIDI OUT from Ableton via USB

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
michaelhaze

Send MIDI OUT from Ableton via USB

Post by michaelhaze » Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:37 pm

Heyo people,

When searching the internet I can't find an answer, maybe you can help?

The question is really simple: is it possible to send MIDI out via USB? (E.g. like an akai controller sends generic MIDI over USB)

Details: I am in the process of making this monstrosity which has a headless Raspberry Pi with a synth on it and it works like a charm, then I started adding a cheap home made tape delay, thinking of adding an analogue spring reverb maybe in the future add an LFO (analog or digital - havent thought about that yet). But now I am thinking it would be awesome if I can have Ableton control it and record the sound from it.

I'll be thankful for any answer or pointer to resources,
Misha

TLW

Re: Send MIDI OUT from Ableton via USB

Post by TLW » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:42 pm

You need a USB to MIDI interface. Many audio interfaces have them built in and they are also available as just MIDI interfaces as well. If you want to record audio getting an audio interface is also a very good idea, so you might as well get one with MIDI in and out as well as audio..

Some USB MIDI controllers also have 5-pin MIDI sockets built in which usually can do the job.
Live 10.1 Suite, M4L, 2014/15 MacBook Pro 15.3” Retina i7, OS Mojave 10.14.5. RME UFX, assorted synths, guitars and stuff.