MIDI devices lose connection

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
junior85

MIDI devices lose connection

Post by junior85 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:10 am

I'm going to guess the answer to this will be that I have too many devices connected, but...

I have a problem where MIDI devices lose contact with Ableton. Usually just one at a time, but sometimes more.

I'm using a Macbook Pro, which has two USB ports.

I have connected:

USB 1: Sapphire 2i2

USB 2: A hub which connects to
- Nanopad
- Nanokontrol
- Actition 4 button footpedal
- M Audio UNO going to Roland TD-3

It's usually the Nanopad or Nanokontrol that loses connection.

The problem seemed to have gone away rehearsing at home, but we did a tech test on a venue PA last night and it started happening again.

Would anyone have any idea what causes this? Is it too many connections going into a hub? Too much electricity around on a venue stage? A problem with the laptop USB ports? Something else?

miyaru

Re: MIDI devices lose connection

Post by miyaru » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:55 pm

Not every USB hub is capable of doing a good job. Maybe search here on the forum what USB hub is good for Mac computers, there where discussions going on a while back about this. It seems that it does matter what brand/type you use!
Greetings from Miyaru.

Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Saffire Pro40, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Korg R3, NI Massive, Air Hybrid 3, Rob Papen's Predator 2, Sonarworks Reference 4 and Scaler.

TLW

Post by TLW » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:26 pm

I’ve a lot more MIDI stuff than that connected to an MBP.

Two connections to my RME UFX and another 7 or 8 through a couple of hubs, one of which is powered. Your problem might be that you’ve two many devices connected that use USB power and you’ve exceeded what the USB spec says is the maximum amps allowed and that an MBP can deliver. If you’ve not done so try a powered hub.
Live 10.1 Suite, M4L, 2014/15 MacBook Pro 15.3” Retina i7, OS Mojave 10.14.5. RME UFX, assorted synths, guitars and stuff.

junior85

Post by junior85 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:16 am

An update to this, I changed my soundcard to a Sapphire 6i6 which is powered by its own power supply, rather than the previous bus-powered 2i2. I don't seem to be getting the issue now.

miyaru

Post by miyaru » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:25 am

Good for you, your new interface is a fine one!!!!
Greetings from Miyaru.

Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Saffire Pro40, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Korg R3, NI Massive, Air Hybrid 3, Rob Papen's Predator 2, Sonarworks Reference 4 and Scaler.