Need help to build pc to run Ableton and Reason

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Post Reply
Allitrot
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:03 am

Need help to build pc to run Ableton and Reason

Post by Allitrot » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:16 am

Hi everyone. I need help putting together a pc to run Ableton, Reason and Traktor. I currently run on a six year old laptop from 2013. I can run one program or the other but barely anything more than that at the same time. I have a budget of roughly $1500. I don’t need a monitor or kB or mouse. I already have an M Audio audio interface. So I’m really looking to build the best possible tower within the budget if possible. I use a Push 2, Nektar P1 and Nanokey2 if that helps any. I appreciate any help and thank you for your time.

miyaru
Posts: 672
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:08 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Need help to build pc to run Ableton and Reason

Post by miyaru » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:35 am

Some thoughts:

* Go for Intel, saves some trouble sometimes.
* Maybe go for an i7 - 4 core.
* Opt for an silent cooler on the CPU.
* Choose a m2 slot ssd for fast performance.
* At least 16GB of fast RAM.
* Go for a housing that can house a DVD burner - you want to back-up songs and burn them on cd to play them in your living or car.
* Enough USB ports, so you would not need hubs as possible.

I use an i7-7700 from Intel, 16GB ram and a m2 slot ssd - very fast, can handle a lot. My PC is build in a 19 inch wide housing with silent cooling and vents. Better opt for one model slower on the cpu, and have all the silent options, as it is your recording space and workspace. The less noise, the better!!!!!

Good luck building, and have fun!
Greetings from Miyaru.

Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Saffire Pro40, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Korg R3, NI Massive, Air Hybrid 3, Rob Papen's Predator 2, Sonarworks Reference 4 and Scaler.

jlgrimes
Posts: 1241
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:55 am
Location: Atlanta, Ga

Re: Need help to build pc to run Ableton and Reason

Post by jlgrimes » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:10 pm

Allitrot wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:16 am
Hi everyone. I need help putting together a pc to run Ableton, Reason and Traktor. I currently run on a six year old laptop from 2013. I can run one program or the other but barely anything more than that at the same time. I have a budget of roughly $1500. I don’t need a monitor or kB or mouse. I already have an M Audio audio interface. So I’m really looking to build the best possible tower within the budget if possible. I use a Push 2, Nektar P1 and Nanokey2 if that helps any. I appreciate any help and thank you for your time.
The audio interface will probably be a big determining factor.

Is your interface USB?

You will want to make sure the motherboard plays well with it. (Most probably do but it would suck to build and find out your motherboard wont work correctly with interface)


I would also be wary of going with a ridiculous amount of cores as I heard horror stories of folks spending alot of money only to be disappointed. 4 cores is probably optimal for audio. The single core performance factor usually is a better judge for an audio PC vs a video PC in which multicore can help more as they dont need to deal with the low latencies that audio PCs work with. That said a dual core isnt a good idea either as most programs do utilize multicore but I think there is a certain point where it wont matter too much (like when you go like 16 cores or so).


What VSTS you use? What is your primary purpose, you plan on getting out of the upgrade?

Audio recording/mixing performance?
Soft synth performance?
Fast boot up, fast loading of large sample libraries?

Allitrot
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:03 am

Re: Need help to build pc to run Ableton and Reason

Post by Allitrot » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:07 pm

miyaru wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:35 am
Some thoughts:

* Go for Intel, saves some trouble sometimes.
* Maybe go for an i7 - 4 core.
* Opt for an silent cooler on the CPU.
* Choose a m2 slot ssd for fast performance.
* At least 16GB of fast RAM.
* Go for a housing that can house a DVD burner - you want to back-up songs and burn them on cd to play them in your living or car.
* Enough USB ports, so you would not need hubs as possible.

I use an i7-7700 from Intel, 16GB ram and a m2 slot ssd - very fast, can handle a lot. My PC is build in a 19 inch wide housing with silent cooling and vents. Better opt for one model slower on the cpu, and have all the silent options, as it is your recording space and workspace. The less noise, the better!!!!!

Good luck building, and have fun!
Thank you. I will look into that.

Allitrot
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:03 am

Re: Need help to build pc to run Ableton and Reason

Post by Allitrot » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:11 pm

jlgrimes wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:10 pm
Allitrot wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:16 am
Hi everyone. I need help putting together a pc to run Ableton, Reason and Traktor. I currently run on a six year old laptop from 2013. I can run one program or the other but barely anything more than that at the same time. I have a budget of roughly $1500. I don’t need a monitor or kB or mouse. I already have an M Audio audio interface. So I’m really looking to build the best possible tower within the budget if possible. I use a Push 2, Nektar P1 and Nanokey2 if that helps any. I appreciate any help and thank you for your time.
The audio interface will probably be a big determining factor.

Is your interface USB?

You will want to make sure the motherboard plays well with it. (Most probably do but it would suck to build and find out your motherboard wont work correctly with interface)


I would also be wary of going with a ridiculous amount of cores as I heard horror stories of folks spending alot of money only to be disappointed. 4 cores is probably optimal for audio. The single core performance factor usually is a better judge for an audio PC vs a video PC in which multicore can help more as they dont need to deal with the low latencies that audio PCs work with. That said a dual core isnt a good idea either as most programs do utilize multicore but I think there is a certain point where it wont matter too much (like when you go like 16 cores or so).


What VSTS you use? What is your primary purpose, you plan on getting out of the upgrade?

Audio recording/mixing performance?
Soft synth performance?
Fast boot up, fast loading of large sample libraries?
Yes, interface is usb, M Audio M Track plus 2. I will be running drums, samples and effects from Ableton and using Reasons Rack Extensions for synths. Hopefully able to use Traktor at the same time for scratching.

Post Reply