Best way to edit when off grid?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
RobertLShoemaker

Best way to edit when off grid?

Post by RobertLShoemaker » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:39 am

I'm making a track off grid using loops that are created from natural playing in time. I'm wondering the best way to go about grouping and pasting new clips on the timeline. Something similar to how you can create groups in protools. I need it to be easier to paste a riff below a loop on the timeline. Currently I am just creating a loop around the selected clip and zooming in as far as a I can to see the line match up.

Tarekith

Re: Best way to edit when off grid?

Post by Tarekith » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:38 am

Live doesn't have any sort of snap to events, so zooming in is probably the best way I'm afraid.

RobertLShoemaker

Post by RobertLShoemaker » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:20 pm

blast... what's the best software for this then?

RobertLShoemaker

Post by RobertLShoemaker » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:40 pm

bump

pottering

Post by pottering » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:27 pm

Session View (with Arrangement Record) is good for those things, since you can trigger Clips in all Tracks at the same time.

Also if you drag Clips from multiple tracks from Session to Arrangement, they will be aligned at the point you drop.

When you drag multiple files, Ctrl key (Cmd on Mac?) shifts from dragging them all in the same track to separate tracks.

If you want them in the same track, one "glued" after another, you may press Alt to disable the grid.

But for building the track, I think it is better to do it on Session. You load the loops, play them to see which ones you want playing together, then you drop or record them into Arrangement.
♥♥♥