Midi Sequence Player

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Marcin7

Re: Midi Sequence Player

Post by Marcin7 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:01 pm

[jur] wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:35 pm
I'm really wondering why you want to pass on the "obvious" option: midi clips/tracks.
I'm maybe misunderstanding you so sorry if it's the case, but It seems to me like you're trying to add a layer on top of a layer that already provides what you need.
You could for example (if you don't want to preview from the Browser) have a midi track in your template set where you'd add every new sequence, re-saving your template when new midi sequences are added. Then, as already mentioned you have several options to preview them with an option to transpose them.
I guess it's because I have never tried that before. For some reason, I always avoid using session view in Ableton. I think of it as a page for playing live, and all the time I'm working at the arrangement view. I would love to see a video tutorial on how to set up such a device, have you ever found such a video?
Having a plugin like Arpache SX would be more convenient, to have all the sequences saved as a presets inside a folders, instead of having all of the midi files placed vertically on a midi clip. Is it possible to build such a plugin in M4Live?

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:45 pm

Check into Live's Help menu > Help view. It'll open the right hand side window displaying many integrated and interactive lessons to learn Live.
Way better than any video tutorial that you're probably watching while doing other things.

You don't even need to use Session view. You can preview midi clips directly from Live's Browser. Again, if you're not aware of this, you'll find something in the lessons.
Ableton Forum Moderator

Marcin7

Post by Marcin7 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:18 pm

[jur] wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:45 pm
Check into Live's Help menu > Help view. It'll open the right hand side window displaying many integrated and interactive lessons to learn Live.
Way better than any video tutorial that you're probably watching while doing other things.

You don't even need to use Session view. You can preview midi clips directly from Live's Browser. Again, if you're not aware of this, you'll find something in the lessons.
Thanks, I did lessons in Help View long time ago, but maybe I will redo them.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:43 pm

If you do map the key range, map it to the channel instead of the clip slot. If I recall, you can do this. Then you can easily load in multiple clips and easily trigger any of them without having to remap (keep in mind you need to highlight the correct Scene though)

Also. Since you’re working in Arrangement View, go into Session View and remove allllllll of the stop buttons. This ensures that your Arrangement goes u interrupted and plays as expected. For the MIDI clip channel, leave those Stop Buttons, and do the midi clip stuff on NEW midi channels so as not to interrupt your arrangement. If you like what’s going on, you can then either copy a clip over, or record from that channel.

pottering

Post by pottering » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:00 pm

yur2die4 wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:43 pm
If you do map the key range, map it to the channel instead of the clip slot. If I recall, you can do this. Then you can easily load in multiple clips and easily trigger any of them without having to remap (keep in mind you need to highlight the correct Scene though)

Thank you, yur2die4 !!

Just tested, there is a arrow Play button ("Track Launch") that appears under the Clip Stop Button/ Status Display when you enter MIDI map mode.

It transposes the whole Track! (edit: at least with Follow Actions)

5 years using Live and I still learn new cool stuff about it, almost daily.

Live is just crazy. Best money I ever spent.
Last edited by pottering on Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
♥♥♥

Marcin7

Post by Marcin7 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:50 am

yur2die4 wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:43 pm

Also. Since you’re working in Arrangement View, go into Session View and remove allllllll of the stop buttons. This ensures that your Arrangement goes u interrupted and plays as expected. For the MIDI clip channel, leave those Stop Buttons, and do the midi clip stuff on NEW midi channels so as not to interrupt your arrangement. If you like what’s going on, you can then either copy a clip over, or record from that channel.
Thank you.

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:57 am

that map transpose to the track is a proper next level easter egg. I don't think I would ever have thought of trying that. nice 1.