"External Audio Effect" - has no Record button! why?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
SimonAbsent

"External Audio Effect" - has no Record button! why?

Post by SimonAbsent » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:39 pm

Ableton8

Arrangement View

I want to record external audio - the Track is currently set to "No Input"
Choosing "external input" in the Track I want to record to creates a "record" button which I can now click to "arm for recording"

Fine - that works well!!!

Problem:

For configuation reasons I do not want to use the above method but instead I want to use an ableton "external audio effect"

This plugin is designed to send and recieve audio by configuring inputs, outputs, gain, dry/wet, etc.

Of course to use this plugin as an "input device" I choose "no Input" in the track menue (mentioned above).

But If I choose "no Input" - the record button (also mentioned above) vanishes!!!!

So my question basically is:

How can I use the ableton "external audio effect" plugin as an input device and have a recording button to arm recording???

Thank you!

miyaru

Re: "External Audio Effect" - has no Record button! why?

Post by miyaru » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:07 am

What are your "configurations reasons"? If it is to record an external synth: there is a special instrument for.

What do you like to achieve this way?
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason 12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :mrgreen:

miyaru

Post by miyaru » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:08 am

Or do you want to send audio out of Live, mix with other audio and get it back in?
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason 12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :mrgreen:

TLW

Post by TLW » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:50 pm

If you route the track's audio out into another audio track that destination track will have a record button.
Live 10 Suite, 2020 27" iMac, 3.6 GHz i9, MacOS Catalina, RME UFX, assorted synths, guitars and stuff.

SimonAbsent

Post by SimonAbsent » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:31 am

Thank you guys - you all had the right insentive and I think we´re on the brink of a solution :-)

1: "configurations reasons" ???? Sorry - I´ll explain:
I want to use the "External Aufio Effect" Plugin because it has the "Hardware Latency compensation" feature which I can ajust in Samples! This is the only reason I must use the Plugin instead of the "Ext. Out function" I could use in the Ableton-Track. I have tried to do this latency compensation with the "Track Delay" function in Ableton but it sounds wierd and doesnt yield desirable results like the "Hardware Latency compensation" in the "External Aufio Effect" Plugin does...

2. YES! I want to send sounds out of Ableton - Process them externally and then recieve them back again. Using the "External Aufio Effect" Plugin can do this but like I said - no record button to actually record the audio.

3. The workaround using just the Output of the "External Aufio Effect" Plugin and recieving the audio through a dedicated "Input Channel" - works fine, because the dedicated input Channnel has a record button....

But shouldnt it somehow be possible to record the audio on the very track where the "External Aufio Effect" Plugin sits??? You see I am doing this with --a lot of channels - - so the Tracks are piling up here. If i could do this as I describe I would only have a half as complicated setup...

Thanks for your help you good people!

ikeaboy

Post by ikeaboy » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:19 pm

Hi! If I have you correctly, what I do in this situation is group the track with the external audio device (or external instrument) drag any of the plug ins that come after the device onto the group track, set the group track to the mixer level of the grouped track and the grouped track to zero. This way everything is the same in the context of the mix and I have full control of vsts etc... after the next step, takes a minute.

Then I freeze and flatten the track performing any live tweaks during the freeze process which happens in real time with external inputs.

SimonAbsent

Post by SimonAbsent » Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:33 pm

hey IKEA

i tried this and got pattial sucess!

if i have an external FX plugin with the input configured to listen to my external audio source
the output is set to "No Output"

this I then grouped and set that groups output tho the grouped channel itself then - - - I get a Record Button!!!!
nice!

Playing external audio I can also see the input meter show audio coming in - unfortunalely i can not hear the audio.
So I created an extra audio cchannel and set that to IN - now I can hear the audio to - - - aaand - - - I can record it too!
nice!

Unfortunately if i finish the recording and play it - once again I can not hear it :-(
the only way is to switch off the extermnal-FX-input plugin - then i can hear the recorded audio when playing back.

next problem is that using the hardware latency function of that same external FX input pluging makes no changes.

That kills the whole point I started out asking the forum!!!!!

But I would a different and easy solution, which is to send the audio with one audio channel and recieve it with a dedicaten audio channel set to IN :-)

thasnk you guys!!!!