Buffer, latency and rendering

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
hipdeejay

Buffer, latency and rendering

Post by hipdeejay » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:02 am

So I'm preparing some songs to send them off for a final mixing and mastering. Nothing is being recorded anymore just audio files at this point. My current projects are about 10 stems, the vocals have quite a bit of plugins on them but nothing too CPU heavy. This is causing my CPU to go thru the roof which I'm not sure is normal since my computer is a fully maxed out 2018 Macbook Pro i9 six core with 32 gigs of ram. Because of this I've had to turn the buffer up to 2048 samples otherwise it gets crazy glitchy and stuttery and unusable. It evens affects the system audio like trying to watch a video on Youtube while the Ableton project is open it will glitch and stutter too which is really weird and never happened before. Is that normal?

My main question is since the latency is so high, when I render these stems will they be rendered out of time since the latency is so high? There's a very noticeable delay when changing something before it can heard. Will this be carried over to the rendered audio file? Or should I turn the buffer size down before rendering even though it's unlistenable at that point?

miyaru

Re: Buffer, latency and rendering

Post by miyaru » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:11 am

NO rendering has nothing to do with this latency - you can export and render your stems without the fear of latency! :D
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason 12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :mrgreen:

miyaru

Re: Buffer, latency and rendering

Post by miyaru » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:15 am

BTW, there was a topic lately about video setting for Mac's which resolves the audio problems........

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=233038&start=15
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason 12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :mrgreen: