Creating fully editable live dj mix inc headphone cue control

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
charmain

Creating fully editable live dj mix inc headphone cue control

Post by charmain » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:45 am

Hi,
Have been using launch control XL to produce my radio show in ableton so the mixes are semi live but have fully editable automation after, but missing having headphone cue control. can I set up a headphone cue with what I've got? Or is there a better/more dedicated piece of dj kit for doing this?

miyaru

Re: Creating fully editable live dj mix inc headphone cue control

Post by miyaru » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:48 am

What gear are you using ie.: what Mac/PC, audiointerface, headphone amp etc......?

This way we might get you there!
Greetings from Miyaru.

Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Saffire Pro40, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Korg R3, NI Massive, Air Hybrid 3, Rob Papen's Predator 2, Sonarworks Reference 4 and Scaler.

charmain

Post by charmain » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:38 am

Thanks! Its an Imac with scarlett 2i4 audio interface

miyaru

Post by miyaru » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:16 pm

With your interface it is proberly not possible to make a different mix for your headphones, other then the monitor mix from your interface.

What I mean is that your interface won't allow you to make a different mix for your headphone, other then what you hear on your monitors.

With my interface, a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, I can make different mixes for my two headphone outputs, and my monitor.

Maybe someone else chimes in and has an other solution........
Greetings from Miyaru.

Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Saffire Pro40, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Korg R3, NI Massive, Air Hybrid 3, Rob Papen's Predator 2, Sonarworks Reference 4 and Scaler.

TLW

Post by TLW » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:59 pm

If not having the absolutely lowest latency possible isn’t going to create problems one solution would be to create an aggregate audio device (in the Mac’s Audio/MIDI Setup app) by combining the interface and the Mac’s built-in audio. It should then be possible to send one set of Live outputs to the Focusrite and another output for cueing to the built-in audio output.

If different cue and “main” audio mixes are required some creative track routing in Live should be able to make that possible by basically routing the individual tracks/groups to master and also to another set of tracks used to create the cue mix. Live’s flexible routing options that allow sending the output of a track to another track is very useful for this kind of thing.
Live 10.1 Suite, M4L, 2014/15 MacBook Pro 15.3” Retina i7, OS Mojave 10.14.5. RME UFX, assorted synths, guitars and stuff.

miyaru

Post by miyaru » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:18 pm

Yep, I'm not a Mac man...... forgot about agregating devices......That way it is possible!
Greetings from Miyaru.