Why I never use Export Audio

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ikeaboy

Why I never use Export Audio

Post by ikeaboy » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:26 pm

I always resample my final mixes into a track and then move that track into my finished mixes folder.

It’s not because the sound quality is any different, it’s because it forces me to listen to the mix, that I think is done, again from start to finish.
Inevitably every time I do this I notice things that need fixing, I stop the resample recording and fix them and start again. If I notice something else like a channel volume being slightly shy etc... fix and back to the start. Sometimes this goes on for over an hour after I thought the mix was done.

If it feels wrong then it is wrong.

Shift Gorden

Re: Why I never use Export Audio

Post by Shift Gorden » Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:07 pm

I think that's a pretty awesome reason to do it that way. In fact, that's a great way of doing it. Thanks for sharing. If I ever get to the final mix stage I'm going to do that ;)

FrancoBlanko

Post by FrancoBlanko » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:20 pm

sounds like a waste of time

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:29 pm

ikeaboy wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:26 pm
fix and back to the start.
Just in case you don't already know it:
You don't even need to resample form the beginning of your track. Just start recording from a bit ahead your last tweak/change/fix.
When you're done, select all the clips and consolidate.
Ableton Forum Moderator

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:26 pm

[jur] wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:29 pm
ikeaboy wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:26 pm
fix and back to the start.
Just in case you don't already know it:
You don't even need to resample form the beginning of your track. Just start recording from a bit ahead your last tweak/change/fix.
When you're done, select all the clips and consolidate.
For the sake of clarity, this is not 100% true because of effects and instruments that use random, and LFOs that could have phase differences. And some oddities could occur in the Return tracks containing delays or reverbs.
Most of the time, it shouldn't be noticeable, I admit.

I'm in the middle of exporting Stems for a mixing session (including FX tracks) and resampling in realtime is the only way to guarantee that the Return tracks are sounding like they should.
And there are also the interconnections between tracks : let's say you've got one drum track, with a random arpeggiator for playing a drum rack. Now let's say another track (a synth for instance), has a sidechain compressor triggered by only the kick of the drum rack. This can lead to a badly unwanted result. The only accurate way is realtime sampling. Or freezing/resampling/record midi on tracks that may cause issues.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:49 pm

I was talking about realtime resampling Chapelier ;-)
Ableton Forum Moderator

ikeaboy

Post by ikeaboy » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:15 pm

To be honest I feel it’s important to go back to the start because everything in a track exists in context with everything else. For example: I only know if the pads at bar 97 are loud enough by listening to the track build to that point, then they either feel satisfying or they don’t. After a certain point the mix is informed by the arrangement. Does the attention of the listener land on the right thing next? A trick you may of heard of is to have an element a little too loud as it is introduced and then use automation to pull it back into the structure of the track with the idea that the listeners attention follows it - same idea.

I’m not saying this is the way it should be done, I’m saying this is the way I do it. As soon as anyone tells me they’ve found the ‘right way’ to make music I think, no, that’s just the way that’s right for you and your generalising for everybody else, so I try not to do that myself. There’s no such thing as the right way to do anything in music but there are paths to results that you may want and some of those take time.

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:04 am

[jur] wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:49 pm
I was talking about realtime resampling Chapelier ;-)
It looks like I was a bit enthusiastic last night, indeed ! Probably because this whole Stem process is exhausting. :D
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:03 pm

I never use export because my tracks are shit.
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:32 pm

nathannn wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:03 pm
That's 98% of my life :D
Ableton Forum Moderator

ikeaboy

Post by ikeaboy » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:44 pm

nathannn wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:03 pm
:lol: