Ableton Live and different Temperaments

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
george715

Ableton Live and different Temperaments

Post by george715 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:23 pm

Hello to everyone!!

A little while ago I purchased Ableton Live and for the last 2 months I have been experimenting with it. I can say that I am very happy using it.
As I am new here, I would like to ask a question;

Currently I have been experimenting with different musical temperaments (e.g. 24-TET, etc.) and I was wondering if I could use those temperaments in Ableton Live. I already have a midi keyboard connected to my computer and to Ableton Live, but every instrument in the library seems to be by default in 12-TET temperament. How could I change that in order to use the same instruments (e.g. a piano) but with other temperaments??

I would really appreciate any help related to this subject! Thanks!!

wearemindflux

Re: Ableton Live and different Temperaments

Post by wearemindflux » Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:33 pm

You would probably need an instrument that can play that new scale. A modern piano can not. So you would more than likely have to multi-sample the instrument yourself.
Grab your free techno samples here>>>http://bit.ly/2YAS8so

TLW

Post by TLW » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:08 pm

Not tried this myself, but something along the following lines might work.

Take an existing sampled instrument’s samples, load them into simpler or sampler as individual samples and re-pitch them to create the new scale. Then build a sampler instrument using the pitch-shifted samples. It would be a lot of work if you wanted the resulting instrument to have a wide range though.

Another option might be to take a synth that can play pitches based on Hertz not just by MIDI note. Sample each pitch you need and build a sampled instrument out of those samples.

Moving into really unusual scales - or even away from equal temperament - usually involves a lot of work, and if an instrument sounds right in one key there’s a good chance it will be out of tune in another key.
Live 10 Suite, 2020 27" iMac, 3.6 GHz i9, MacOS Catalina, RME UFX, assorted synths, guitars and stuff.

doghouse

Post by doghouse » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:01 pm

There are many hardware and software instruments that support different tunings. As always with MIDI, it's the receiving device that is most important.

Read here about Scala. It includes an incomplete list of instruments.

wearemindflux

Post by wearemindflux » Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:24 pm

doghouse wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:01 pm
There are many hardware and software instruments that support different tunings. As always with MIDI, it's the receiving device that is most important.

Read here about Scala. It includes an incomplete list of instruments.
Oooh yeah forgot about scala, its great
Grab your free techno samples here>>>http://bit.ly/2YAS8so