MIDI recognized but not useable

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
The_Subject

MIDI recognized but not useable

Post by The_Subject » Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:43 pm

Hi all, hope you can help me. I'm running my kp3 into ableton. My midi track has it's input set to KP3 in, and Channel 1 (Channel 1 being the only one that recognizes it).
I have no FX or anything in the channel yet.

I press the KP3 and instantly get a 1 out of the 14 dots on the meter flashing up - great. BUT that's it.
How can I assign this to trigger something? How can I use take this 1 dot and say 1 dot = play sample, for instance.

It seems to me the issue lies in that there is no inherent "note" behind the midi signal, but there must be a work around for this. Any ideas?

TLW

Re: MIDI recognized but not useable

Post by TLW » Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:17 pm

MIDI is not audio. It’s instructions to a MIDI device (software or hardware synth, lighting controller etc.) to do something. For example “play note number 65 now.....stop playing note number 65 now”.

To turn MIDI into audio you need to send the MIDI to a hardware or software synth. If you load one of Live’s instruments onto a track and set the MIDI input for that track to the KP3 that should get you sound. As for the MIDI channel you need the input set to whatever channel (out of 16) the controller is sending on, from what you say that’s channel 1 at the moment.

MIDI channels on the output of MIDI tracks going to hardware do need to be set to the channel the hardware is listening on, but for software synths that usually doesn’t matter.
Live 10 Suite, 2014/15 MacBook Pro 15.3” Retina i7, OS Mojave 10.14.5. RME UFX, assorted synths, guitars and stuff.

The_Subject

Post by The_Subject » Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:09 pm

Sorry what I'm trying to say is instrument or no instrument, the MIDI track I've set to the KP3 responds with a singular dot at the bottom of its meter - ie it recognizes an input but, regardless of whats in the track, FX or instrument-wise, that input is unusable beyond demonstrating it is recognized. Using a M4L MIDI Monitor and setting it to "Flow" you can see the numbers in response to the input. But, again, nothing else happens. The input registers on the first dotted meter on the far left of the Device View (and on the main track's meter), but no further than that.
If I start with a MIDI FX rack, and look at its zone editors, key or velocity, there is no recognized input, even though there clearly is an input u[ until this point.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:13 pm

Are you able to midi map to a filter frequency control? Or even just the volume of a channel?

The_Subject

Post by The_Subject » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:28 pm

I can, depending on my MIDI settings.

If I enable them, then yes I can map it to things, including launch clips. However there is always latency here, whereas the actual response of the MIDI signal has no latency.

I'm trying to use it as a virtual snare, basically, obviously with aims to use the x and y axis as FX, but the initial hit has to be latency free.

There is 0 latency on the MIDI in signal (flashing dots top right) and the one dot on the meter as described before is also instantaneous. If I enable it to trigger a clip (say a midi clip that plays a snare sample) I get about 1/32nd note of Latency (in 125 bpm).....so like 64.5ms..?

Even with this latency my midi in indicator is still 0 latency.

So I guess what I'm saying is how can one mitigate latency via triggering from the raw MIDI in signal?

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:33 pm

To be honest, I don’t know a Lot lot about that controller.

It might have a notes triggering mode but it sounds like you’re making use of the fx control modes.

For fx control, it likely has 3 kinds of controls on the touch pad. One is the sensing when your finger touches or stops touching the surface. This might be one of the things you map but it’d quickly be overridden by either X or Y touch position controls.

An easy way to verify that it is mapping three different controls is to map by touching it very quickly. Then look at the cc mapping on the Bottom Left in midi mapping mode. It’ll tell you the control that it mapped. If you hit Undo on Live, you’ll see if it also attempted to map another control, and if you hit Undo again, you might see a third control. The Touch-Not Touch control is the one you want to have mapped. The X and Y position controls might have varying values depending on where you touch and they might also have a delay in data if you touch the exact same spot twice and then move. (Though that is probably a false assumption on my part but whatever haha)

As for the clip, make sure it has No Quantization, turn on the RAM button for that clip (don’t do this too often but in this case it’ll probably be helpful).

The other thing that can affect latency of course is your audio drivers / hardware.

TLW

Post by TLW » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:11 pm

Actually MIDI always has a slight latency - usually no more than a few milliseconds but it is there because devices take time to send and respond to MIDI and MIDI is a serial protocol meaning it can only transmit/receive one command at a time so e.g. chords are always very slightly arpeggiated.

What might be causing significant latency between MIDI in and audio reaching the interface is the audio driver buffer settings.
Live 10 Suite, 2014/15 MacBook Pro 15.3” Retina i7, OS Mojave 10.14.5. RME UFX, assorted synths, guitars and stuff.