Seamless Scene Changing?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
57R34K

Seamless Scene Changing?

Post by 57R34K » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:50 pm

Hello again,

I use ableton for playing keys on stage. I arrange all of my sounds for each song in a single scene (each scene is a song). When I launch the next scene, then there is a break in the sound. How do I get rid of this break and make the transition seamless?

NOTE: I use dummy clips and the chain selector to launch all of my sounds corresponding to the current scene. I also turn off all devices in scenes that are not active to save CPU. If I leave the devices on, then there is no break in sound, but there is a sudden, sharp transition between sounds. I want the last sound to continue to ring out until I let go of the keys. I also want the new sound to start ringing only after i play a new key instead of immediately on launching a scene. Quantization is set to none and launch mode is set to gate.

EDIT: Changing the launch mode to trigger, activatiog legato, and leaving all devices on is what I was trying to accomplish, but is there a way to turn the previous scene's devices off to save cpu without losing the sound for a seamless transition?

57R34K

Re: Seamless Scene Changing?

Post by 57R34K » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:44 pm

Any ideas? I have the device on/off mapped to the chain selector and both of those are trigger by the dummy clips.

doghouse

Post by doghouse » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:53 pm

I do not think it is possible to do what you want. Changing the scene will send any program changes in the clips.

Like all MIDI, it's up to the receiving device (your software instruments) to decide what to do with held notes. Even in hardware synths, there are some synths that will keep the original sound for held notes and others that will not. Every softsynth I have ever used switched sounds for held notes when it received a program change.

pottering

Post by pottering » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:47 pm

NOTE: I use dummy clips and the chain selector to launch all of my sounds corresponding to the current scene.
From what I understand you don't need to do anything, it should be turning off CPU for the Chains that are not playing.

That was evident to me when I tested the Tom Cosm's Leakage project. It has a Rack with 128 Wavetable instances, plus FX, yet it switches between the 128 Chains without killing my weak-ass ultrabook CPU.

https://gumroad.com/l/wCYHWh
♥♥♥

wearemindflux

Post by wearemindflux » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:28 pm

Hi, I would maybe have the quitize set to 1 bar, then u can hit before the bar and the scene will change automatically
Grab your free techno samples here>>>http://bit.ly/2YAS8so