"Consolidate Time to New Scene" with automation?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
DuggletonLive

"Consolidate Time to New Scene" with automation?

Post by DuggletonLive » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:38 am

I like to use this command to capture some time in the arrangement as a session view scene but I would like the automation from the tracks to go into the clips of the scene.
A concrete example would be the gain of an instrument which changes in the arrangement according to automation levels, to be reflected in the scenes consolidated from different places in the arrangement.
Can it be made to work this way?

timday

Re: "Consolidate Time to New Scene" with automation?

Post by timday » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:57 am

I had a bit of a panic when I saw this as I use this function a fair bit and I wondered if there was a bug or something.

Turns out it works if the automation lock button on the top right is turned off in arrangement. If you consolidate to new scene with it turned on automation does not copy, turned off it does exactly as you want it.

DuggletonLive

Post by DuggletonLive » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:52 pm

Thanks for the input, that's great to know.
I've tested that this works as expected and discovered a case where (I think) it does not work.
In my particular case one of the tracks is a folder (group track) that has a compressor with the automated output gain that I want to capture in different scenes.
The problem with a group track is that it contains no clip for itself. It would appear to derive it's automation info from the track's playback from the arrangement.
I'm wondering what the work around would be...

timday

Post by timday » Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:04 pm

You could route the group into a separate audio track using the track I/O (this track will now be just a bus for the group) and put the compressor in that track instead.

credit due: this isn't my original suggestion, it was suggested by yur2die4 on another thread relating to return channels (where you can do the same thing if you want to automate a return FX in session view). My original thought was to use the Max API effect in a separate MIDI track to control the effect which will also work but the bus way is easier I think.

DuggletonLive

Post by DuggletonLive » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:51 am

I tried the method of routing the group tracks to another audio track with a compressor on it and automating that. It worked.
The automation only printed to the new scene when there was an audio clip on the compressor track. (I looped a few bars of silence over the length of the track). This makes sense because otherwise the scene would contain an empty cell on the compressor track.