Replace VST plugin with it's VST3 version in a project? Is it possible?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Valery_Kondakoff

Replace VST plugin with it's VST3 version in a project? Is it possible?

Post by Valery_Kondakoff » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:29 pm

Hello!

I'm planning to replace some of my VST plugins, which were used in many projects, with it's updated VST3 versions. But, as far as I understand, the old projects will not find the new VST3 plugins.
Is there an easy (or recommended) way to replace old VST plugins in a project with their corresponding VST3 versions without loosing all the related project settings?

Thanks!
CU
VK

Valery_Kondakoff

Re: Replace VST plugin with it's VST3 version in a project? Is it possible?

Post by Valery_Kondakoff » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:34 pm

Looks like 'Save preset' from VST plugin and then 'Load preset' to VST3 plugin might work.
Is there an easier way?
CU
VK

jestermgee

Re: Replace VST plugin with it's VST3 version in a project? Is it possible?

Post by jestermgee » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:48 pm

don't believe so. The mechanism for reading what plugin was used in a project (the plugin ID) will be different for the VST3 version as opposed to the VST2 version so it's not simply a case of just installing VST3 as it is not just an "update" but a whole new format really. Same as switching from AU to VST.

The method you suggest is the way you would do it, project by project and then of course make a copy and test and make sure it sounds the same. If the projects are completed then personally I would leave them as is and simply have both VST2 and 3 installed then switch your main templates to VST3. Doesn't hurt to have both installed but maybe there is another reason you need it?